Virgin Canvas 2001 GMC Jimmy

5 hrs invested. Surfaces were block sanded with 500 grit to minimize scratches. Plus I ran out of 320 grit.

manifoldsand%20002_zpspllxweek.jpg

Tried my best to block sand the right side as well. Still minuit pitting as you can see. Will have to run up to HF to get the 320 grit.

manifoldsand%20001_zpspbsvvgog.jpg

-Frank

Waiting patiently for the 24hrs (5pm) to roll around before I drain and refill the antifreeze and oil.

(Intro>Back ground info) Last yr when I was fixing the Jimmy I came across a pair of Rockford Fosgate T1 15's, with dented cones, one Dual 2, the other Dual 4. For $75 each I could not pass them up. Originally they were going in the Jimmy. When Devin saw them, her eyes lit up "WOW!" Instead I sold them and collected $225 profit, that I rolled back into the Jimmy. I know she was alittle disappointed. She's a good kid so....and she again upped her grades to nearly all A's.......so, I found some RFR3115's on CL. Yes I am brand loyal to the end. RF for Life.

Now to figure out how the hell am I going to fit these in this small space??

Devinssubs%20011_zps21uvprdh.jpg

Devinssubs%20012_zpsbd5yf72b.jpg

This box is already at 7.73cf sealed, and these subs RF 15s call for 3.5cf each, (4) 4x18 ports, tuned to 33Hz. With displacement and ports, I need 4.21cf a piece. The problem I see is the (4) ports being 18" long will make the box difficult to make because you need that unobstructed port opening.

Devinssubs%20010_zpsu6pzqh7f.jpg

For amps, I love finding Avionixx amps. Found these CXD 2800Ms at a pawn shop. I found one for $99, and the other for $125.

Devinssubs%20008_zps5swxtxyn.jpg

Not bad. Same guys that made the Elemental Audio Nine.1 and so on. Decent reviews for the E.A. stuff.

2600W strapped @ 2 ohms. for $225, can't beat it. Devin already has the CXA 1040 and CXD 2800M now.

Devinssubs%20009_zpswpt6fk0y.jpg

Devinssubs%20007_zpsn6t0tixc.jpg

Rating:

600W @ 4Ohm

1000W @ 2 Ohm

1300W @ 1 Ohm

2600W strapped @ 2 Ohm

-Frank

Currently the enclosure (external dimensions) is 29x15x37.5. 7.73 cf.

I can up up to 20" in height (external dimensions) which gives me 10.6cf.

It's the (4) 4" x18" ports that mess up the design for me.

I want to do a Plexi front to show off the magnets.

I did it in 2005 with my S-10. 1" thick, ran me $200. Something like 55" x 16" x 1" Hoping the price has not doubled in 10 yrs.

Here is one idea. 8.48cf. 20" x 37.5" x 23.5". This will bring the box up the top and flush with the backrest.

The amps would have to go on the sides where the side windows go mounted up on amp racks(?).

devsubdesign%20001_zpsqkhwfsl3.jpg

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

-Frank

How about 2 smaller plexi windows for each woofer? Im going to break the news now that looking at it in today's world, $200 seems pretty cheap for that piece of plexi, you might be in for a surprise. anything against a slot port in the middle vs the 4" ports? Finally, I know this isn't a SPL setup but you may get gains with a rear facing port(s).

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Hmmm. I guess I can do a slot port for each of the subs. I've just always liked that white pvc round port look.

The original design is to run each sub with it's own amp, this way she can run 1 sub for driving around. 1 15" should do the job nicely in that space, and turn on the other sub is she wants to show off.

Going to have to read up on round vs. slot port. Hmmm.

-Frank

Hmmm. I guess I can do a slot port for each of the subs. I've just always liked that white pvc round port look.

The original design is to run each sub with it's own amp, this way she can run 1 sub for driving around. 1 15" should do the job nicely in that space, and turn on the other sub is she wants to show off.

Going to have to read up on round vs. slot port. Hmmm.

-Frank

Kinda pointless to have two subs ran individually just to turn one off, thats what the volume knob ot sub output on the radio is for.

Nav-TV Zen V Audio Interface

AudioControl DM-608

(2) Stevens Audio Neo-Comp Full-Size Horns

(4) Faital Pro 6PR160 6.5"

AudioControl LC-6.1200

(1) Fi Neo 4.7 15" D2 in 3.74 Cubic Feet @ 27.70 Hz

Ampere Audio AA3800.1

Odyssey ODP-AGM48 Battery (Starting)

Odyssey ODX-AGM31 Battery (Trunk)

Big 3 - 2\0 Welding Cable, KnuKonceptz Speaker Wire & 1/0 Power Cable, NVX RCAs, Second Skin (Speaker Tweaker Pads, Damplifier Pro Mat), Diode Dynamics LEDs

Well, this is where I stop with this engine. lol. The more I "tighten up" this motor, the leaks are more and more apparent. Like when I changed one cooling line at a time, the next one leaked. lol. Lisa laughed at my frustration last year. Well, not going to get frustrated. Devin will drive it as is, checking the oil monthly.

I replaced the real main. What I didn't replace was the U-shaped 1/2 seal that goes between the engine and oil pan. No way to change it without removing the motor.

Thanks GM for making the motor this way. Hahaha

oilleakgmcjimmy%20004_zpsm4bbm8tj.jpg

JCarter, as far as 1 or 2 subs running, she's 16, listens to some bass, and some non-bass music. Some country music she listens to is really bass heavy. I think it will sound ok with 1 sub.

Waiting for the Friday to start building an enclosure.

-Frank

When you had the Trans out it would have simple for you to lift the motor up high enough to get the pan out.

With the 4.3 even if you replace every seal it will still leak somewhere.

Also out of all the systems I had in my Jimmy it seemed to like subs and port facing back the best.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived