Virgin Canvas 2001 GMC Jimmy

Just back from an 11 mile trip around the neighborhood......IN THE JIMMY.

Took me all day to re-install the transmission.

I made several mistakes during the build, which were corrected. It's about learning!

Saved myself $1400. $700 to rebuild her.

Now the intake manifold/plenum gasket, drive the JImmy for 1K miles, redo the subs with 2 T1 12's or 2 Power HX2 15's, and hand her back over to Devin.

-Frank

The trans appears to be a success, despite the neg. comments floating around. ;)

I detailed the engine bay with my pressure washer. And sure enough after alittle while of driving you can see the anti-freeze

starting to seep out of the union between the manifold and the right cylinder.

b613c152-a2c9-4ac0-a886-72f1ce509438_zps

The garage is picked up. The Jimmy is backed up.

Next fixing the dreaded and common 4.3 Vortec Manifold leak due to having high miles.

Went ahead and purchased the better $70 Fel-Pro kit. This kit is metal not plastic based like the cheaper $32 kit.

Tear down starts tomorrow!.......or in 3 days depending on how I feel about working this week or not. :D

manifold%20gasket%20001_zpscdqjxxjw.jpg

-Frank

Just read through this from the start, :popcorn: Good work man! That blazer looks good, 2-door lowered blazers are the only blazers that actually really look good to me, just a personal preference though. Love the willingness to learn and try things, and you did this all on a wicked tight budget too! Quite the lucky step daughter you have! I need to do the transmission soon on my suburban, its also got a 4L60E, starting to slow shift between 2-3 and 3-4 which leads me to believe its due for a total rebuild with new seals. I was thinking about trying it myself but its a commitment I dont trust myself with, yet anyway. Ive also been considering a 4L80E swap from a 2500 instead and eventually collect a 6.0L out of a Yukon or 6.2 from a wrecked Caddi but again, limited time/tools is the killer. Maybe when I have my own shop and a life haha.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Good morning SMD!

Well, waiting for BigBragHoss to reply to my question in the other thread, I went ahead and tore the manifold apart last night from 11pm to 0215.

I found the problem right away. The manifold gasket was done once before and the right hand side bolts were FREAKIN' LOOSE. The left hand bolts had nice resistance when unbolting. The coolant just leaked out due to this. A shit load of oily grit present everywhere on the right side.

manifoldteardown%20065_zpsj0htpxqk.jpg

The good news is that it's out, the bad news.........metal shavings on the lifters noticed. I assume this is par for the course for the mileage.

This motor will be put back together and Devin will drive her as is.......until........I rebuilt my first Vortec. :D I rebuilt my Kawasaki 650 SX jetski motor, my ZX7R motor, my Sea Doo 785 race motor, so why not?! I looked up a rebuild kit for under $500. I'll be looking into a motor stand and crane very soon!

0e22a88d-c1a1-43d8-a09f-9f8005f09558_zps

Fine silvery grit! Hard to photograph, but it's there!

manifoldteardown%20064_zpsdzo19jxj.jpg

Time to buy some mineral spirits, and a few cans of brake cleaner. FYI, the CRC brand cleaner is $3.57 at Walmart and $5.49 at Advance Auto, so you know where I'm heading after breakfast.

manifoldteardown%20068_zpsxwshl9on.jpg

-Frank

Forgot to add this pic of the new front tires Conti ProContact 245/45/18. Now Conti's all the way around. Ride is nice, smooth, and alot less road noise.

newtires%20001_zpsy2iuyjtf.jpg

The guy at the shop complimented the truck. "Nice truck, lowered, system". The funny thing is that he noticed the Mossy Oak seat covers with PINK stitched piping, LMAO. His face said it all "Ah, this my gf's daughter's truck, not mine. I do not ride around with pink seat covers". He smiled because I knew what he was thinking. It was a funny moment.

-Frank

Just read through this from the start, :popcorn: Good work man! That blazer looks good, 2-door lowered blazers are the only blazers that actually really look good to me, just a personal preference though. Love the willingness to learn and try things, and you did this all on a wicked tight budget too! Quite the lucky step daughter you have! I need to do the transmission soon on my suburban, its also got a 4L60E, starting to slow shift between 2-3 and 3-4 which leads me to believe its due for a total rebuild with new seals. I was thinking about trying it myself but its a commitment I dont trust myself with, yet anyway. Ive also been considering a 4L80E swap from a 2500 instead and eventually collect a 6.0L out of a Yukon or 6.2 from a wrecked Caddi but again, limited time/tools is the killer. Maybe when I have my own shop and a life haha.

Thanks for taking the time to look over this thread. You can do it. Tools are minimal. Just need inch pounds, and foot pound torque wrenches, breaker bar, the spring compressor, Torques Plus bit if needed, and ring spreader tool. If I were to hand out advice, it would be, go to LKQ, remove a transmission you what and rebuild it in your spare time, watching "The Transmission Bench" channel. He takes his time, gives you specs to go by. As he's building it, you're building it! My transmission mount was my Rockford Fosgate HX2 speaker box. The terminal ring was the hole that the output shaft went into allowing me to stand the transmission vertically. :D

-Frank

Damn bro you're really goin all out haha. I'd just swap in a 5.3L and be done with it, nice procharger or twin turbo setup hahahahahaha

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

Nice progress so far, I love the fact that for the most part these trucks are easy to work on and great to learn on. Everything is fairly straightforward and there's so much information and guidance out there. A couple years ago when my lower intake gasket went out I had never really worked on the engine, the mechanics said it'd be over $1000 to fix, after a little research I found that it was a common and easy project. $150 and a pizza later, the blazer was back to normal. Anyways great job with this and if my transmission ever messes up I may have to ask you some questions!

Build log: Click

03 Chevy Blazer

- IPad Air 2 

- ALPINE Head Unit

- 4 DC XL 18s

- 2 DC 3.5k

- ALPINE TYPE R 5.25 COMP

- 3 ALPINE TYPE R 6.5 COMPs

- DC 175.4

- DC HO Alt

- D3400

- 4 XP3000s