Second Skin Audio

Finishing Birch. Paint...or dip?

Ok so am i retarded for considering dipping my wall? or should i just take the time and finish it?

What grit do you guys use to finish birch? and how many coats? I would like a gloss finish in the end?

any help is appreciated?

I would paint it. I did a gloss black on my box which is birch and it turned out really well. you can see my log for pics if you want.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

I would paint it. I did a gloss black on my box which is birch and it turned out really well. you can see my log for pics if you want.

ill check it out for sure. Im sure i can research how to finihs it but im lazy and lost ofr time.

just want to know grits and how many coats and when to sand etc etc.

All I did was prime it with Killz and then I used rustoleum gloss black paint and it turned out well. I took many coats it get it lookin really good but I didn't do any sanding or anything. I'm sure if you did it might turn out even better though. I Hear this wall is goanna be louder than the old one though.

Pioneer HU

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Instagram @p4linnovation

All I did was prime it with Killz and then I used rustoleum gloss black paint and it turned out well. I took many coats it get it lookin really good but I didn't do any sanding or anything. I'm sure if you did it might turn out even better though. I Hear this wall is goanna be louder than the old one though.

i will give it a go then. and theortically yes. More cone and coil and power and better everything! usually means louder! but wont know till i play it. shell looks good though lol

That's good. the old wall was fairly loud though. probably would have been better if DD sent you 2 subs that actually worked lol.

You goin to slamology?

Pioneer HU

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Instagram @p4linnovation

I painted the inside of mine, behind the port. Used a few coats of primer and about 5 coats of white rattle can. It covered up the grain pretty well, can't even see it. The good thing about birch is that it's already smooth so you don't need to sand much.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

That's good. the old wall was fairly loud though. probably would have been better if DD sent you 2 subs that actually worked lol.

You goin to slamology?

Pushing hard to make it so yes i should be there.

I painted the inside of mine, behind the port. Used a few coats of primer and about 5 coats of white rattle can. It covered up the grain pretty well, can't even see it. The good thing about birch is that it's already smooth so you don't need to sand much.

Yea i tihnk ill prime about 2 then 5 coats of a color then a couple of clear? Im also going to paint the part you see when the doors open. What the hell right?

Just be carefull when doing a bunch of coats. I learned the hard way and had to sand and redo it. Make sure all your paint, primer and clear are the same brand and keep the cans you arnt using in the house so they are at a safe temp. It can make your paint wrinkle and crack.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

Archived