crw092782 Posted May 6, 2014 Report Posted May 6, 2014 I have a customer of mine who wanted me to backup their info from their laptop. I removed the HDD and went to image it over to another hdd that I have at the shop, and it fails. I wanted to put it on a different machine and just read their info off of it, but it won't read it from my windows 7 machine. The HDD on the laptop has win 8 on it. Is there anything I can do? They have their quickbooks on there and I would like to be able to save the day. Thanks. 2004 Pontiac Vibe Build Sony MEX-N5000BT JBL P660C x 2 Sundown Audio Zv4 18 Crescendo BC2000D Crescendo S800/4 Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire Sky High Car Audio RCA's Toolmaker Terminals XS Power D1200 DC Power 240HP Alternator Viper 5706
EP95 Posted May 6, 2014 Report Posted May 6, 2014 How much is there to move. Usb drive would work but it'd be slow as fuck.
crw092782 Posted May 6, 2014 Author Report Posted May 6, 2014 That's the problem. When the drive is in the laptop, it doesn't boot all the way up. It is a 1TB drive too. I downloaded clonezilla utility trying to just image it over to another 1tb drive and then go from there... but it won't image over. I keep getting the same error message that it is either waiting for a check, or that it didn't shut down cleanly. Both of which I have tried to remedy to no luck. 2004 Pontiac Vibe Build Sony MEX-N5000BT JBL P660C x 2 Sundown Audio Zv4 18 Crescendo BC2000D Crescendo S800/4 Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire Sky High Car Audio RCA's Toolmaker Terminals XS Power D1200 DC Power 240HP Alternator Viper 5706
fosgatefan821 Posted May 6, 2014 Report Posted May 6, 2014 I have used a HDD caddy which u put the hard drive in it and it makes it USB so you just plug into your pc and copy off you files you want to save. I did it for movies, music, pictures and whatever. 2007 Ford Ranger (ALL YET TO BE INSTALLED - DUE TO WORK SCHEDULES) K&N Performance Air Intake Massive Audio D2400 Mono Amplifier 2 Custom Built 8" Subwoofers in Ported Enclosure Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In Dash Double Din DVD Player (Video Bypassed) 4 - Pioneer TS-A6886R 6" X 8" 2 - SMD Heavy Duty Single ANL Fuse Blocks 2- Stinger SPP1200 Dry Cell Batteries JL AUDIO Interconnects 2/0 Gauge Big 3 ILL Customz 8 Spot Flat Lug Style Bolt Down Terminals ILL Customz 1/0 to 4 Gauge Power / Ground Reducers Factory Alternator __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 2002 Cheverlot Monte Carlo SS - (Deceased) 2 - Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD 1 - Rockford Fosgate Power 851x Rockford Fosgate Power 6 1/2 Components Rockford Fosgate Power 3 way 6x9 2 - JL Audio W7 13.5" Subwoofers (Sealed) Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In - Dash DVD Player Pioneer AVIC - U250 - Add-on GPS Navigation System Audio Control 6XS 4 Way Crossover / Line Driver Ohio Generator 200 Amp Alternator 3 - Stinger SPP1200 Batteries 1 - Optima D34/78 Battery
xxgokouxx Posted May 6, 2014 Report Posted May 6, 2014 What works for me while I was a comp tech... I used Linux (Ubuntu) booted from the CD, did my file transfers from there. See if that works? GL! EDIT: Believe it or not, file transfers were LIGHTNING on that the Linux CD/DVD distro! lol
crw092782 Posted May 6, 2014 Author Report Posted May 6, 2014 So you are saying that Linux will recognize the windows 8 partitions? 2004 Pontiac Vibe Build Sony MEX-N5000BT JBL P660C x 2 Sundown Audio Zv4 18 Crescendo BC2000D Crescendo S800/4 Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire Sky High Car Audio RCA's Toolmaker Terminals XS Power D1200 DC Power 240HP Alternator Viper 5706
crw092782 Posted May 13, 2014 Author Report Posted May 13, 2014 What works for me while I was a comp tech... I used Linux (Ubuntu) booted from the CD, did my file transfers from there. See if that works? GL! EDIT: Believe it or not, file transfers were LIGHTNING on that the Linux CD/DVD distro! lol Thank you! I don't know why I didn't think about trying this before posting. I usually use Hirens disk which is all linux based anyway. I took the old drive out, hooked it up to another machine running Linux and it was right there. Thanks again. 2004 Pontiac Vibe Build Sony MEX-N5000BT JBL P660C x 2 Sundown Audio Zv4 18 Crescendo BC2000D Crescendo S800/4 Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire Sky High Car Audio RCA's Toolmaker Terminals XS Power D1200 DC Power 240HP Alternator Viper 5706
Tarball Posted May 13, 2014 Report Posted May 13, 2014 might have bitlocker running on the old HDD. CURRENT SYSTEM: Alternator: Stock alt on mids/highs Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v Batteries: (2) XS D1400s Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks Headunit: 80-PRS Sub Amp: DC 5.0k Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal. Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4 Active Components: Mids RE XXX 6.5c Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar) Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab. Build Log If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db
Jessica Posted May 13, 2014 Report Posted May 13, 2014 if it wont boot even on the lap top i am guessing it sustained a fall and has physic damage and a few bad blocks. Can you access it at all from another machine? if so run a surface scan and mark all the bad blocks and try to copy again. May be getting a cyllic redundancy error, or as we used to call them "bad blocks" edit: nevermind, i see you got it. lol Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
crw092782 Posted May 13, 2014 Author Report Posted May 13, 2014 The drive was out of a machine that was running windows 8. Windows 7 and older will not read the partitions created in 8. That was my issue. Linux saves the day! 2004 Pontiac Vibe Build Sony MEX-N5000BT JBL P660C x 2 Sundown Audio Zv4 18 Crescendo BC2000D Crescendo S800/4 Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire Sky High Car Audio RCA's Toolmaker Terminals XS Power D1200 DC Power 240HP Alternator Viper 5706
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.