Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Wetsounds XXX V2 Ported Enclosure Design


Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm guessing that enclosures in a boat are not typical around here but I thought I would ask and get some input.

I have a Wetsounds XXX V2 12" subwoofer running on a Wetsounds SD2 amp that is rated at 1200W RMS but has been tested a little closer to 1400W.

Sub: https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-XXX.html

Amp: https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SD2.html

Current enclosure: https://wetsounds.com/media/products/manuals/Wet_Sounds_XS-XXX_Vented_Enclosure.pdf

I've had the sub in the recommended, dual slot loaded enclosure which is tuned to 36hz for about a year now and just can't take it anymore.

It simply does not have a ton of usable output. The sub plays low, but it is just too low for the boat.

The amp does not have a subsonic filter so I know that is a pretty big issue. I have a Audison Bit.Ten that I'm sure will help a lot but I haven't had the time yet to install it.

A buddy recently built this enclosure, tuned to 41hz using a 4" precision port and absolutely raves about it compared to the dual slot port.

EFDBC7D9-27EF-48CE-8CF1-EEB83F4C45E6_zps

4CFCDC2A-4266-4A87-9C14-70A0419909B2_zps

He did not use any internal bracing and did not double up the baffle.

I was considering building this enclosure but tuned at 40hz with a 1.5" baffle (3/4" birch ply or marine grade plywood). Any input on the design and/or construction of the enclosure, specifically bracing (corner or otherwise).

Any input on the tuning frequency in what is essentially an open environment?

Does anyone think I should install the Bit.Ten first and play with the tuning before building a new enclosure?

Wetsounds said to keep the internal enclosure volume after woofer and port displacement at 1.45ft3.

Here is the current enclosure I built and it's location under the captain's helm:

d1913153.jpg

819176e6_zps7cde6890.jpg

62c2d075_zps4b5e1419.jpg

Posted

Have you listened to your buddy's setup? If not I would try that and see how it sounds and go from there.

I have not. He lives in Kansas, but I trust him. He didn't listen to the 2 different enclosures back to back but he did spend quite a bit of time with the dual slot loaded enclosure and was really unhappy with it. He described a lot of the same complaints I have had with mine. He was ecstatic after listening to the new enclosure.

My only concern is that he listens to mostly country music. We listen to some country but also a lot of pop, rap and some of the more tame dub step type of music.

I'm thinking that I might be safer tuning it to 39-40hz.

Posted

I would possibly go as low as 36. The only issue I see is a standard ported enclosure is not really designed for an open type of environment but it looks like you are kind of stuck with that if you are going to fit a sub back in that spot.

Posted

I would possibly go as low as 36. The only issue I see is a standard ported enclosure is not really designed for an open type of environment but it looks like you are kind of stuck with that if you are going to fit a sub back in that spot.

Yeah, the original enclosure I have is tuned to 36hz. I think the issues with that enclosure in my boat are that the port design is limiting, no subsonic filter (at the moment, before I install the Bit.Ten) and it just might be too low for an open type of environment.

Posted

I would possibly go as low as 36. The only issue I see is a standard ported enclosure is not really designed for an open type of environment but it looks like you are kind of stuck with that if you are going to fit a sub back in that spot.

Yeah, the original enclosure I have is tuned to 36hz. I think the issues with that enclosure in my boat are that the port design is limiting, no subsonic filter (at the moment, before I install the Bit.Ten) and it just might be too low for an open type of environment.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that that the subsonic filter is more to protect your sub from playing below the enclosure tuning so shouldn't affect the output.

Posted

I dont think it is the tuning that is affecting your ouput either. If you look at a PA bass cabinet (which is designed for an extremely large environment) most of those are t-line/loaded horn type cabinets which (i could be wrong about this) are usually tuned to the speakers FS (derived from it's t/s parameters) which for most subs is in the 30's. I think it is the enclosure type itself (standard ported) that is your limitation. But given the space constraints you have it would be difficult to fit a more suitable box.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2843 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...