Blew My MTX 1501D

JakeBoucher

Hey guys, I smoked my MTX 1501D amp the other day and Im curious if I can fix it. It blew because I had it at a 1 ohm load(I believe, no mods were done to it and it worked at 1 ohm) and I was pushing it way to hard at idle. I was giving a guy a demo and the bass stopped and smoke was coming from the amp. I immediately shut the car off. Anyway, the amp powers up but no sound output. Pulled the cover off and if your looking at the power input side, on the right side there's what I believe is the power rail, and there are burn marks under it, burn marks on some of the legs that branch off of it to the circuit board, and burn marks on a few flush mount resistors or transistors. All the burn marks and burnt components are in the same area. I'll try to get pictures of the affected area tomorrow. I want to know if I can fix it(no amp repair experience) what else to check, and where could I send the amp to get repaired? Thanks alot!

"Dude the more your sub weighs the more watts it puts out"

I Would suggest you get som1 that knoes how to repair amps to have a look first.... see how much they will charge you to fix it, if you find it's more than you want to spend have a go yourself...... but in saying that I would prob suggest you invest in a fire extinguisher

Where are the guts, this is for gut pics. I used to run a mtx thunder 1501d sold it for more than I payed for it after a few years. Everyone was telling me to mod it, got to do the mod dude. Make some real power man them subs would really slam if you did the mod.... I didn't do it and the amp lasted.

Where are the guts, this is for gut pics. I used to run a mtx thunder 1501d sold it for more than I payed for it after a few years. Everyone was telling me to mod it, got to do the mod dude. Make some real power man them subs would really slam if you did the mod.... I didn't do it and the amp lasted.

Did the mod, ran at .5 ohm, clamped right at 3k, amp died about a year later.

Out of all the crap I gave this amp vibration is what killed it finally.

Archived