Sonic Electronix

Properly tuning JL 750/1 for W712v3

Re did my system with some quality stuff this time and I want to set everything up correctly. Please bare with me

Not sure what I need to set my amp on, either the Hp or the Lp, filter slope, input voltage, and not sure if I should turn on the Infrasonic Filter?

Im running this sub/box setup: http://www.jlaudio.com/ho112r-w7ae-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93276

Also Im running the new Pioneer AVIC8000 NEX

I really want to learn in depth why I am setting them a certain frequencies and stuff as well, for future builds.

I've done some research but I start getting confused with all the different amps and things people have to say.

4zblFjW.jpg

LP, 80 hz,, low volt. Read read & then read some more. Then ask questions after reading. Watch Youtube vids and stick around to learn alot. Oh...Welcome to the best car audio site on the web!

How u tune your amp as far as crossover and filters depends a lot on the sound u are looking for. What the crossovers/filters do is basically allow u to control witch sounds/frequencies go to your subs. Keep in mind subs are meant to produce low frequencies there for u want to set it somewhere in the low range. This can also depend on what subs u are using. In the case of the w7 it is a sq type of sub meaning it's not made to be loud but to "sound good" and should be fine set somewhere in the 80hz to 100hz range on the low pass filter. U can play around with these settings tho and find a place u like it the best. As far as the Infrasonic filter it's kinda like a second high pass filter so basically it doesn't let the subs play at frequencies than what u set it at. Say its at 20hz and your low pass is at 80hz well then your subs will play everything below 80hz and above 20hz. I hope this helps

LP, 80 hz,, low volt. Read read & then read some more. Then ask questions after reading. Watch Youtube vids and stick around to learn alot. Oh...Welcome to the best car audio site on the web!

Why 80Hz? You don't know how his front stage looks like and if the subwoofer will still work properly(sound good) above 70Hz?

You don't even know if the numbers on the amp are correct.

Low volt= RCA's as input

High volt= speaker output from headunit

I suggest using the RCA's.

Turn the infrasonic(=subsonic or Highpass) on, it's a ported box with a shallow roll-off.

How u tune your amp as far as crossover and filters depends a lot on the sound u are looking for. What the crossovers/filters do is basically allow u to control witch sounds/frequencies go to your subs. Keep in mind subs are meant to produce low frequencies there for u want to set it somewhere in the low range. This can also depend on what subs u are using. In the case of the w7 it is a sq type of sub meaning it's not made to be loud but to "sound good" and should be fine set somewhere in the 80hz to 100hz range on the low pass filter. U can play around with these settings tho and find a place u like it the best. As far as the Infrasonic filter it's kinda like a second high pass filter so basically it doesn't let the subs play at frequencies than what u set it at. Say its at 20hz and your low pass is at 80hz well then your subs will play everything below 80hz and above 20hz. I hope this helps

80-100Hz for SQ? :s

Where do you get this information? There is no set number, and for SQ I imagine the front stage will be great too so they usually put the LP around 40-50Hz depending on the install, because everything above that is directional.

The best way to set up the LP in this case since the subsonic/infrasonic(=not a correct term as that should be below 20Hz) isn't adjustable.

Play some music you like and start at a "number" on the dial you choose, and keep turning it down untill you notice something is missing or when the high notes from the subwoofer annoy you and you don't like the directionality of the bass.

I would suggest a 12dB slope if you aren't playing very low or too high, a 24dB slope would be safer and cut off the frequencies more abruptly.

As is shown here:

4650-rew-crossover-slope-oddity-80-12-24

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived