Sonic Electronix

more opinions on which subs to purchase

alright so my dilemma begins with a dissatisfaction with my current setup so i'm looking at upgrading but want an informed decision before i do so.

i'll spare the details of my current set up but power constraints are 800 watts at 2 ohm or 1200 at 1 ohm

so far my most attractive options seem to be between 2 dual 12" loaded enclosures

the first is a polk db1222 sub package in manufacturer spec box

second i've found so far is a dual rockford p2 sub pack in a box made by rockford

both enclosures are ported

i'd assume both enclosures are made to manufacturer recommendation as both packs are on the websites in brand labelled boxes

both seem like good deals to me, polk is $415 after shipping and rockford is $485 after shipping

i'm looking for loud and punchy as i listen to a range from rock/metal to hip hop type music and beyond

so would there be much of a real difference between both or would i be better saving $70 and going the cheaper of the 2?

my pockets aren't that deep, just getting one sa12 shipped to aus would cost me $400ish i'm pretty sure, the shipping rate was higher than the cost of the sub.

unfortunately most of the high end stuff like sundown, dc, fi and whatever else i can't think of isn't exactly cheap or accessible to me, they don't even have distributers in aus... :(

I would personally buy the drivers and build my own box.

If thats not possible then the Rockfords are probably a better woofer and I would assume a better box. I don't know much about the Polks. I know that make good solid stuff but Ive never heard those subs, and don't know about the box.

So that's one vouching for the rockfords and another suggesting I break the bank and import speakers, why does everyone here promote the absolute top end that can't even be bought in aus

Both the subs suggested are mid-entry level subs from very respectable audio brands... Not really top end stuff but much better then what you are asking plus this is a VS thread. IMO they are about the same pick the polks they are cheaper and move on.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I would honestly save up and get something a little better. But if those are the two options you have available I would say it really does not matter. I ran some polk subs not too long ago. Sounded very good for what they are. I had a P3 sub that I also thought sounded good so the P2 should be the same.

Really I would get whatever is cheaper and start saving.

07 KIA Spectra

320a Singer Alt

Odyssey Extreme batteries

2 12" Phantom sounds (4.6 cu. net @ 32) - soon to be 2 Atomic ELE

2 Rockford Fosgate T2500bd-CP

Zapco Z150.2

Front comps soon to be Hertz HSK

Pioneer 80prs

Second skin deadener throughout

Archived