Tune then play? Explain

Ok been reading. And to get most SPL I want to tune to the cars res freq it seems. Ok awesome. Anyone know a h3 hummers??

Ok question let's say it's 50hz for my car. I build my box and tune it to 50hz? Then play a 50hz tone?? Or do I tune lower say 47hz then play the 50hz? Or tune to 50hz and play say a 55hz tone? Not looking for specifics guys just an understanding as I seem to be reading confusing threads that tosses me off on tuning then what to actually play? I know meter is only real way to know but what's the norm?

You might want to plug the specs of your woofers into some modeling software and see where you need to tune to make the peak at your intended target. Some woofers will peak right at tuning, some will want to peak quite a bit higher. Generally speaking you should always see a peak around your car's resonant frequency when you are testing with the meter.

Another good method is to make a port out of PVC or sono-tube and tune low. Test all your frequencies and then cut an inch off the length of the port and test agin. Repeat until you stop gaining. If you're clever there's probably other ways to build the box and then quickly modify tuning one cycle at a time, but you get the idea.

Also if you want to compete seriously you MUST own or have access to a meter.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to plug the specs of your woofers into some modeling software and see where you need to tune to make the peak at your intended target. Some woofers will peak right at tuning, some will want to peak quite a bit higher. Generally speaking you should always see a peak around your car's resonant frequency when you are testing with the meter.

Another good method is to make a port out of PVC or sono-tube and tune low. Test all your frequencies and then cut an inch off the length of the port and test agin. Repeat until you stop gaining. If you're clever there's probably other ways to build the box and then quickly modify tuning one cycle at a time, but you get the idea.

Also if you want to compete seriously you MUST own or have access to a meter.

good info. im trying to learn myself. I can agree on the port, I see a lot of guys making removable ports to tune different frequency for different music.

Usually you tune at roughly 10hz below resonant freq but that's just one of those rule of thumb things that could be good or bad to follow but points you in the right direction.

like mentioned though every sub will react differently and every car (even if they are the same year make model) can and usually will react differently to the same exact setup.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I remember Ray West telling somebody when designing a 4th order to make the sealed portion and meter it then tune to the resonant frequency of that, but it seems like you are talking about ported so that probably doesn't help much..

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

Archived