Buying New Processor

I finally decided and got the money to buy a new processor I'm just stuck between two. Can someone who is familiar with processors help me decide which one to choose. I am going with an Intel processor LGA 775. These are the two I am stuck between they are about the same in price.

Core 2 Duo

Quad Core

RF_power_product.gif

From what I have read the dual core would be good for opening programs and running games that do not support multi core processors, since it has a higher clock speed. The quad core would be good for using many programs at the same time and running games with multi core support. I was thinking of doing the same thing and decided I wanted a quad core, thought it would be more the thing of the future. Its all up to what you want to do with it. Hope this helps.

It helped me a bit. I am basically building this pc to store and play music, videos, pics, surf the internet, and ocassionally play some games on it. Not to big on pc gaming. But I still want it to run fast.

RF_power_product.gif

Not going to try to take the words from accordman, but I too would likely suggest the dual core. One being that as said I don't think a massive amount of programs support quad core at the moment, which is always a big source of controversy... you don't seem like you would be a heavy multi tasker etc, so I think the higher FSB speed and clock greatly negates any advantage from 2 extra cores.

Ive owned my e6600 conroe for almost two years (got em the day they went on sale :) ) ....ive had it at 3.6Ghz ever since and not a single problem once i found stable settings.....they are great procs even if not overcloking....i havent had any first hand experance with the core 2 quad but if your not a muli tasker or video encoder i would say go with the dual core at the higher speed

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

I'm going with the Core 2 Duo. Only problem is I decided to get either the Intel E8400 or E8500. But can't seem to find neither of them---they're all sold out :mad: . Thanks for the help by the way :) .

RF_power_product.gif