Sundown Audio

Real world amp tests

Afficionado

I'd heard many claims of the 50.1 doing over 300RMS@1 ohm. I got the amp from a buddy that had two of them and used them in Comp years ago until one blew and he had no use for the remaining one.

The PBR I'm thinking of using in my current beater I drive for work. Probably going to pick up some inexpensive speakers to toss in it, as I currently have OEM fronts and no rear.

The PBR is rated using a 14.4V input voltage, my car however looks to sit around 13.9V running. No idea just how badly .5V less power will affect it. I lost the box, manual, and plugs for it when I moved, yet the amp is still in plastic (LOL), so I need to order replacement plugs for it. I know the certificate that came with it said 8?x4, but again, that was with a 14.4V input.

I personally don't think 0.5v is going to make much difference..

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Have you used your Dyno and measured various amps alternating the voltage .5V to see how much/little of a difference it can make? I wouldn't expect a huge loss in output, but I could see it maybe dropping upwards of 10RMS (in my case).

Have you used your Dyno and measured various amps alternating the voltage .5V to see how much/little of a difference it can make? I wouldn't expect a huge loss in output, but I could see it maybe dropping upwards of 10RMS (in my case).

I don't have an Amp Dyno. My friend and I use an AMM-1 in my car. Hence the real world title of the thread.

I got sick of people complaining how the AD-1 only gives you a best case scenario for an amp. This is a real scenario of what an amp might be doing.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

What frequencies are you testing at?

What type of enclosure do you have?

If it's a ported enclosure what is it tuned at?

If I've missed these, sorry.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

What frequencies are you testing at?

What type of enclosure do you have?

If it's a ported enclosure what is it tuned at?

If I've missed these, sorry.

I play at the frequency that creates the lowest impedance and least air movement. I get 1.3 ohms at 51 hz. Box is ported and should be tuned to 30 hz.

Enclosure is double baffled, with a rear that is doubled also.

So are you keeping the same frequency across the board for the amplifiers test?

Lowest impedance should be at or close to tuning, which will also have the lowest form of excursion, but the most port air velocity.

To get the closest to a resistive load you need to be playing at the tuned frequency otherwise you have a capacitive or inductive load on the amplifier. Pretty much all amplifiers will generate less wattage under non resistive loads.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

So are you keeping the same frequency across the board for the amplifiers test?

Lowest impedance should be at or close to tuning, which will also have the lowest form of excursion, but the most port air velocity.

To get the closest to a resistive load you need to be playing at the tuned frequency otherwise you have a capacitive or inductive load on the amplifier. Pretty much all amplifiers will generate less wattage under non resistive loads.

I generally test at 30 HZ and 51 hz as they both are 1.3 ohms, but 30 hz can get kinda violent :P.

Power hasn't hardly changed on any amp between 30 and 51 hz.

I don't have "proof" But that's the numbers Sam Horn wrote on the paper. I don't have a clamp to do it myself or I would.

You're a car audio guy and you don't have a DMM with a min/max function?

dubndogde has a similar setup in his car, I think he has a D925 upfront and at 2k rpm he drops to 12.9v with his 2200D. Every car is different, but it could be similar ending voltage.

It's not really accurate, but that's the way it's been don't for years and it's just a baseline... but I mean, at 172a draw with a lowest voltage of 13.9v. Assuming 65% efficiency, that is still 1554w or something like that. I don't feel as 65% is unreasonable.

That 12.9v was the CT 3k lol. I drop to 13.4v with a soft clip (full tilt) @2k rpm. D925,D3100 and mechman 240A. I just want this dang amp AD-1 or with the AMM for true results. not Ampvolts.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be doing more testing with my T2500!

Right now, I have all of my wires stacked on each other on my rear d3100.

Well, i just got some battery distribution blocks thanks to Cody at Droppinhzcaraudio and I'm going to see if my power output from my amp gets better, worse, or stays the same when i put the blocks on.

Toolmaker also just today put up dual inputs for the T2500 which i am super excited about because i have been waiting forever for some! So I'll also be doing test that includes adding those...

and i MIGHT be getting another d3100...so stay tuned!

Tested out my Eclipse DA6213

Rated 1k RMS at 4 ohms bridged.

Well...we could find a frequency where my set-up would stay at 4 ohms when the volume was turned up. but we got a frequency where it was 3.0 ohms with the volume up. the amp doesn't like anything under 4 ohms AT ALL. but at 3 ohms we got 1650 watts AKA on par with the Rubicon and a bit below the Soundqubed.

Of course it does less at 4 ohms, but i'd feel pretty confident saying it would at least 1k RMS at 4 ohms.

:]

We also tested the Rockford Fosgate R1000. stable to 2.0 ohms and we were able to test it at 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. Never ever got warm and we tested it quite a bit...

any guesses on some numbers?

e:/ Quick plug, the Eclipse amp is for sale in my for sale thread :]

It's not in beautiful condition, but it does pump some power!

Archived