Second Skin Audio

Need help port size

Also for finding the port area suggested, you can refer to this calculator.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

2.79 before, still not great for four 12's.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Hey luism, that's a really nice looking box. It looks like you do nice work. I've got some bad news for you though, as your box is now, you are going to have a really tough time fitting in your ports.

It looks like you double walled everything so based on the specs in your picture you have 3.23 cubes of gross internal space. Your four Meso 8" are going to take up another .36-.4 cubes of that leaving your at about 2.85 cubes before port displacement. If you want to use two 6" round ports and tune to 40 Hz they are going to have to be about 40" long, which obviously isn't going to fit, and even if they did they would take up almost half of the internal volume you have left. Two 6" ports is probably more port area than you absolutely need, if you could get some 5" sonotube or some other 5" material your ports would only have to be about 30" long, which you could fit and you would still have enough internal volume. Another option would be three 4" ports, but those may be starting to get on the small side for the amount of cone area you have. I can help you figure out just long any of your ports need to be when you decide what direction you want to go.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

OP you wrote 1" mdf then u said double baffle. That means 2" each side lol. Anyway best advice would be to build a new box. But very nice box you gat the there, really sweet design. You could try what Triticum has said. Even having external ports can help a litte on extra internal space.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Archived