Clos Posted June 11, 2014 Report Posted June 11, 2014 Has anyone built a box that has the same outside dimensions as the woofer I'm trying to come up with something that sits in the far trunk in a civic up against the seats don't know if I can go 8" and point woofer and port up or 7" and have it point back with port up any input would be awesome I have about 30" width and 17 height but trying to keep it as slim as possible. By the way it would be running a jl 500 slash v2 thank you
Clos Posted June 12, 2014 Author Report Posted June 12, 2014 these are the two designs I was thinking about what do you guys think?
Joe X Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 8 7/8" would be minimum baffle height due to the wood thickness (3/4"), there's a trend of people trying to pull stunts with box designs or building a box any size and then asking about how to do the port, all good ways to end up sounding like crap. Do a proper box for your sub and let it take what it needs to take and it will sound beautiful for you.
Facekicker Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 My .02 Not what you asked for I know. But if space is -that- important to you, you might want to consider a different driver, Sundown SD-2 8" in a sealed box (.25cf is tiny) or Skar VD-8" in a ported box 32hz . I run both and have been absolutely pleased with them, both situations were tight on space. VD-8" box ended up about 1/2 the total footprint of an SA-8" and enclosure I had and originally was going to use. 2002 Monte Carlo Started a build log Fi, DC, Mechman, XS Power
Clos Posted June 12, 2014 Author Report Posted June 12, 2014 joe x what would you recommend for my situation, in the first design i showed pictured its 7" and the woofer needs 6-5/8 from mounting surface, it should fit and after woofer displacement the box would be .756 volume and just over 35 hz but it wouldnt be facing the same as the port, is that an issue? vapor-mania I already have the sa 8 v2 and would hate to have to sell it and buy a different driver thank you
Facekicker Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 I hear ya, but sometimes a better end result is worth the hassle instead of compromising to make do with what ya have. I'm selling some things for that very reason. The good news is that its not hard to resell an SA-8. Good luck with build. 2002 Monte Carlo Started a build log Fi, DC, Mechman, XS Power
Clos Posted June 12, 2014 Author Report Posted June 12, 2014 Joe x I see what u mean now 7" won't work the woofer is 6.58+.75 =7.33 with no clearance I'd have to do 7.5 at the very least, thank you
Clos Posted June 12, 2014 Author Report Posted June 12, 2014 Facekicker I'm willing to go a little bigger but want to know the minimum depth possible to make a good box, I've seen some at 9 and 9.25
Clos Posted June 12, 2014 Author Report Posted June 12, 2014 Facekicker I'm willing to go a little bigger but want to know the minimum depth possible to make a good box, I've seen some at 9 and 9.25
Keith77 Posted June 12, 2014 Report Posted June 12, 2014 what is this going in? Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born. My penis is bigger than your penis I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.