Setup:

2003 Acura 3.2 TL

MB Quartz 1000.1d

Sundown X-12d.4

0 gauge power & ground

grounded via brass seatbelt bolt for rear seat

Stock ground under the hood

Stock HU using LOC for sub input

Always have had issues with it bumping after i cut the sub off while driving, aka bump in the road causes sub to "baby" fire. Most recently, and not always occurring the sub will fire after I cut the HU off at XYZ fq til i cut the HU back on. And have had the sub hit if the HU is off, car is turned over and running then I shut the door. I'm thinking its a ground loop in the rear of the chassis. First thing on the list to fix is the ground under the hood, then my next guess is running an independent ground from the amp to the batt under the hood?

Anything? I'm at a loss after this. Asked a few of the EE professors about that and they think its a ground loop in the chassis somewhere (currently attending school as a ME). Outside of this issue the amp/sub hit harder than anything I've heard before.

I'll post a pic of the amp settings tomorrow, too dark at midnight on EST. LOC is still the same, its hardwired into an adapter harness I made so I didn't cut the body harness at all. All joints were good when I installed it a little over a year ago. Previous sub never lasted long enough to provide issues (T3 audio 600 powered by same amp, blew the voicecoil).

I'm assuming amp or ground loop bc if the HU is off, the remote wire should send signal to be off, therefore any leftover power thats in the rear of the car will backflow causing the sub to fire since it can't find its proper path back to the battery. this eliminates the HU & LOC as issues in the equation of the problem.

so the problem only started when you got a new sub put in? why did previous sub blow the voice coil? i'd say you just answered your own question. check your sub wiring and impedance with a dmm. did you adjust the settings on the amp when you got a new sub?

more sounds to me like turn off thump, can be caused by the sub amp discharging what pwr it has stored in the caps when you pwr the system off.

previous sub actually blew after i answered a phone call ~20 miles out from destination & I cut the system to the lowest level without being off, then as the phone call ended i cut it up & heard the scratching noise from the VC.

Yes problem with the new sub occured maybe 2-3 weeks after installed, I'm OCD when it comes to powering my car up then system, or vice versa. Usually the HU is on when i start the car and the issue doesn't arise then. Only occurs when starting if HU is "off". Settings were adjusted once the new enclosure was built to spec for the X-12 (iirc, 32hz port tune, etc. thread is on here with final #'s)

If the thump is from the sub amp discharging whatever power is in the caps, then that tells me there is a lack of discharge in the continuity of the power/ground wires...I'll have the under the hood ground at 0 in the next few days and see if that fixes it. but if not, i guess I have to run a full 0 gauge from the amp back to batt?

Was anything adjusted/changed installed at the time you noticed the sub starting todo this? even if it's something simple that you may not think would have any effect on your system. I no the OCD feeling and hate anything that I cant get to sound perfect.

keep trying mate, hopefully you'll find the answer.

so you turn the car on with the headunit off and you get noise through your sub? (that sounds nasty) does the amp actually pwr on or is the sub just getting magical pwr from your car starting?

Why are you cutting things, and what are you cutting them with? I don't even understand how you can cut a head unit on or off, are you using a knife to push the buttons? When you cut the system off was it reattached properly?

Was anything adjusted/changed installed at the time you noticed the sub starting todo this? even if it's something simple that you may not think would have any effect on your system. I no the OCD feeling and hate anything that I cant get to sound perfect.

keep trying mate, hopefully you'll find the answer.

so you turn the car on with the headunit off and you get noise through your sub? (that sounds nasty) does the amp actually pwr on or is the sub just getting magical pwr from your car starting?

nothing other than swapping in a new box & sub. no wires were changed, no settings were changed on the LOC, the only thing played with was the high pass.

yup, car starts, door still open and it thumps upon closing. no matter what the bass eq on the amp is set to. I do believe amp powers on at this point but doesn't send signal to the sub.

Why are you cutting things, and what are you cutting them with? I don't even understand how you can cut a head unit on or off, are you using a knife to push the buttons? When you cut the system off was it reattached properly?

I stick to a butter knife. it works wonders. i've found the best way to reattached it is to playdoh it back on so the next time its easier to cut.

Archived