Second Skin Audio

port help

Displacement of the sub's motor structure is listed in the manual/on the package as being 0.072cuft. then port displacement is done by multiplying the HxLxW of the slot port or using the formula for finding the volume/displacement of a cylinder, which is V = π r 2 h

and if your current enclsure has a bunch of screw holes, it's no longer sealed, so the sub won't perform properly. I'd remove the sub, sealed the holes from the inside, let the sealant you used cure for a few days, then reinstall the sub and see if it improves the sound any.

Recommended sealed is 1.25cuft with an allowance of .75-1.75cuft.

Not sure what amplifier you are using to power the sub, but gain needs to be set properly on it as well.

My apologies, I should have known better than to go off speaking above his head, if I happened to do just such.

The subs can be placed n ported, but they have a very low EBP, suggesting they are optimized for a sealed enclosure. Again, the output of them used in a ported enclosure could be quite peaky. Think Kicker subs in ported enclosures back in the late 90's up until 5-6 year ago, they too were designed to be better suited for sealed enclosures.

As in a few notes will be MUCH louder than the rest.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Krakin is correct. Given the recommended tuning frequency of the recommended ported enclosure is 40Hz (+/-1Hz) the subs will be quite loud in the low to mid 40Hz range. I'd ASSuME that frequencies above 50Hz would not get all that much of a boost and then due to the need of a subsonic filter/the roll off by the design of the enclosure, frequencies of say 37Hz and lower will be quite low and become nonexistent as you go lower. If you are a big fan of Rap/Hip Hop, Dubstep, Electric, and R&B then ported is generally the preferred enclosure type, but by design, this sub would be lacking in the deeper bass and could well leave you wanting more.

Enclosure setups such as what I believe this would be when ported have earned a nick name of one note wonders, in which they place a ridiculous amount of gain over a very narrow range of frequencies.

Have you ever heard a ported kicker Comp or CompVR from 5+ years ago? That is a good example of a sub setup with a peaky output.

And I'm fine if the lower freq will be louder and higher not so much. As is my higher freq notes don't sound the best. As of now it hits best at about 40-45 htz playing a htz sweep and songs in that freq. Anything higher sounds distorted abs lower sounds good just not as loud

Generic prefab enclosures are not built for any particular sub and in such, tend to give mediocre performance. Best is building a custom enclosure specifically tailored to your sub and vehicle, but that takes some skill or a good chunk of change if you pay someone else to do the work.

A proper ported enclosure will not damage the sub, so long as you use an amplifier that has a proper subsonic filter for the sub/enclosure combo. In this case, you're wanting to not set a subsonic filter (SSF) any lower than 35Hz with the "recommend" ported enclosure. Failure to use a SSF can end with the sub destroying itself as it looses control when asked to play frequencies below the tuning of the enclosure.

A ported enclosure will surely get you louder output, that's no doubt, it's just that the lower frequencies of say 37Hz and lower will be pretty lifeless.

May I ask what amplifier you are using?

The lack of deep lows and not so strong upper bass will likely remain with a ported enclosure, but you can expect a greater output in the same range that seems to have a fair bump already.

Archived