Sundown Audio

Does HIFONICS X1500.1D do rated power?

geekybasshead98

Make your own thread

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Make your own thread

This is my own thread. Look at the creator or 1st post.

Lol oops

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Sorry for the late response- (I'd hung myself)

Yes, still run them- no problems.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Me personally will never by a HiFonics again... I bought a Zues 1800 to push one Pioneer Champion 1000 nominal 12" and it fried! Poof, went up in smoke! I'm sure it was clipping like a mad man, but i couldn't tell. Was just bangin' then my car was full of smoke. With that being said, I said never again will I waste my money on a cheap amp. That's when i was introduced to SoundQubed. You can buy the 1200.1D for like 260 shipped to your door. Solid amp and also had a clipping indicator, if im not mistaken. I have the 2200.1D and just bought a second because I like them so much.

OP, what's going to happen, as it happens to most of us is, you are going to buy a Hifonics and it will play. Your going to push it too hard and we all know what happens from there. The way I see it is, you just threw away 200 dollars that you could have invested in a higher quality amp. Just sit tight and save up another 75 dollars and buy SoundQubed, Sundown, Cresendo, etc... You will be MUCH happier in the long run. Plus you will have head room to run higher RMS subs in the future...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Me personally will never by a HiFonics again... I bought a Zues 1800 to push one Pioneer Champion 1000 nominal 12" and it fried! Poof, went up in smoke! I'm sure it was clipping like a mad man, but i couldn't tell. Was just bangin' then my car was full of smoke. With that being said, I said never again will I waste my money on a cheap amp. That's when i was introduced to SoundQubed. You can buy the 1200.1D for like 260 shipped to your door. Solid amp and also had a clipping indicator, if im not mistaken. I have the 2200.1D and just bought a second because I like them so much.

OP, what's going to happen, as it happens to most of us is, you are going to buy a Hifonics and it will play. Your going to push it too hard and we all know what happens from there. The way I see it is, you just threw away 200 dollars that you could have invested in a higher quality amp. Just sit tight and save up another 75 dollars and buy SoundQubed, Sundown, Cresendo, etc... You will be MUCH happier in the long run. Plus you will have head room to run higher RMS subs in the future...

Obviously Hifonics isn't a top notch brand, but you clearly said in your post that you were clipping the hell out of it. Any equipment should be expected to fail under those conditions, especially a middle of the road brand, and the low end product line of theirs to boot. Can't really blame the failure on them for the user error.

Now, that does not change the fact that Hifonics is indeed middle of the road. There are much much better, and there are far worse. Yes you were wise and upgraded after the failure to SQ, but if you didn't have the user error trash the first amp you could very well still be using it. Many, and I do mean many people use the Hifonics amps hours on end daily with no issues at all if they're given the proper electrical and set correctly... You could have been one of those people.

With that being said, sure they don't do the power they claim. As said by someone in an earlier post, if you want a 1500rms amp, get a larger rated one. And eventually, as all bassheads end up doing.. You'll probably want to upgrade anyway at a later date.. and by then, you'll probably want to move on to "Quality" equipment.

I've ran a PowerBass ASA300.2 and ASA400.2, still have the latter of the two. Not sure if it does rated power cleanly, but I wouldn't be too surprised either way. Still, "I" never had a problem with either, both seemed to work just fine for powering a set of speakers and the other for powering a single sub. Mine are older models, I think Powerbass may have sold out since I bought mine, so I can't comment on their newer gear.

Also had a set of their 6x9s and tweeter, though I never once wired them up before finally selling them a few years later.

Obviously Hifonics isn't a top notch brand, but you clearly said in your post that you were clipping the hell out of it. Any equipment should be expected to fail under those conditions, especially a middle of the road brand, and the low end product line of theirs to boot. Can't really blame the failure on them for the user error.

Now, that does not change the fact that Hifonics is indeed middle of the road. There are much much better, and there are far worse. Yes you were wise and upgraded after the failure to SQ, but if you didn't have the user error trash the first amp you could very well still be using it. Many, and I do mean many people use the Hifonics amps hours on end daily with no issues at all if they're given the proper electrical and set correctly... You could have been one of those people.

With that being said, sure they don't do the power they claim. As said by someone in an earlier post, if you want a 1500rms amp, get a larger rated one. And eventually, as all bassheads end up doing.. You'll probably want to upgrade anyway at a later date.. and by then, you'll probably want to move on to "Quality" equipment.

That was the whole point of my post... you get what you pay for. As bassheads, we always try to push our equipment harder. That is definitely a no no with Hifonics. I'm not saying that it didn't sound good while it played, and I'm sure If I wouldn't have been listening to Jeezy's "Put On," I wouldn't have clipped it that bad either. My point is, for another 50-75 dollars, he can buy a quality amp that will give him the headroom he wants and also a clipping indicator, so he can ease off it before any major damage has happened.

I called MaxxLink or whatever the name of the company is that owns Hifonics, Crunch, MB Quartz and one other. I was pissed at them, telling them the amp was faulty and there was no way it should have blown or clipped with it being an "1800" watt amp. Hifonics refunded my money and told me that the "ONLY" amp that does certified is the Brutus Elite. My amp, the Zues 1800 only did about 1050 @ 1ohm and 700 @ 2 ohm. That's why I clipped it, thinking I had PLENTY of power, when in fact, I was way underpowering it. Had it wired at 2ohms... Anyway, not trying to make a big hooplah out of this, I just hope the OP uses his head and spends 50 dollars more to buy an amp that at least has a clipping indicator on it. Save himself some money in the long run and will be MUCH MUCH happier with the product.

I will give Hifonics credit for this. Their customer service was spot on and refunded my money IMMEDIATELY... Props to them for that. So, I guess maybe you can smoke your amps and keep coming back for a new one? lol prolly not, but at least they gave me my money back one time. That was enough for me...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Archived