Second Skin Audio

Aeroport config

RooTxBeeR

R^2*3.14

So port area is completely uneffected by length?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

4" ports have 12.57" sq. in. of port area each. If you are only putting 600 watts into these your four 4" ports should be enough.

As far an orientation goes you just want your ports to all be reasonably close together so their output combines well. Technically the closer the better but as long as they are all on the same side of the box you should be fine.

Also, whether a box is peaky or not is determined by box size and tuning, port area has nothing to do with it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

4" ports have 12.57" sq. in. of port area each. If you are only putting 600 watts into these your four 4" ports should be enough.

As far an orientation goes you just want your ports to all be reasonably close together so their output combines well. Technically the closer the better but as long as they are all on the same side of the box you should be fine.

Also, whether a box is peaky or not is determined by box size and tuning, port area has nothing to do with it.

They are going to have less than 100w of overpower. AQ750.1 will be powering them. I don't see how port area has nothing to do with peakiness. So if I build two identical boxes, one with 8sq in of port and another with 12 (and they are aero not slot). Your telling me they will be as loud as each other with the exact same bandwidth?

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

...So if I build two identical boxes, one with 8sq in of port and another with 12 (and they are aero not slot). Your telling me they will be as loud as each other with the exact same bandwidth?

Yes, as long as they have the same net internal volume and tuning, that is exactly what I'm telling you. The only time a smaller port is going to sound different is if its grossly undersized and causing port compression/noise.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

...So if I build two identical boxes, one with 8sq in of port and another with 12 (and they are aero not slot). Your telling me they will be as loud as each other with the exact same bandwidth?

Yes, as long as they have the same net internal volume and tuning, that is exactly what I'm telling you. The only time a smaller port is going to sound different is if its grossly undersized and causing port compression/noise.

That just throws me off, I have been on this forum for years and this is the first I have heard of this :/

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I hope my box design is ok. ??

I love when people go straight for the sqin per cuft BS.

These subs will be just fine with 4 4" aeros.

They will be on the back of the box facing rearward. Put the ports along the bottom in a horizontal line.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I hope my box design is ok.

I love when people go straight for the sqin per cuft BS.

These subs will be just fine with 4 4" aeros.

They will be on the back of the box facing rearward. Put the ports along the bottom in a horizontal line.

I had only made the topic because I was going to build it before you had replied, but then I got rained out lmao. I am sticking with how it is, and honestly glad I made this topic though because I learned port area is constant to diameter and not length. Learn something everyday lol. If it don't work dude I'll be sure to flame you for all hell for it HAHA. Just kidding on that part though.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

That just throws me off, I have been on this forum for years and this is the first I have heard of this :/

I think the whole "more port makes a box peaky" belief is one of those things that sounds reasonable so it gets accepted as fact. It's just not true though. Sound is energy and energy is a function of mass and velocity. All else being equal, with a large port you have a larger mass of air moving slower, a smaller port has smaller mass of air moving faster, in both cases the energy is the same.

Builds:

Archived