Help eliminating peaky bass

csshakka

are you clipping trying to make 600w loud?

the 600w your sending might not be enough for the lows to come alive but perfect for 50hz

I'm pretty sure there's no clipping. Still happens at like 60-65% volume, gains set with DD-1 @ -7.5 tone and sub level is at -5db on headunit to match mids/high (except for the damn peak of course).

If power was the issue, the choices would be a) more power or B) different set of subs better suited for 600W rms?

maybe your port area/net volume is a little too high. I like to set the ratio more around 14 to get a better frequency band, but sacrifice the output of a peaky box

Going off of a shop's opinion/experience, they said one of the better type r boxes they heard was on the smaller side with a narrow'er port. I tried to stick with that - 1.65 cu/ft per sub (after displacements) @ 33hz. Port is 12.5" x 1.25", which would come out to be like a ratio of 10 (or something around there). It doesn't sound like port noise though.

As additional notes, when I had only one type r, it was put in multiple enclosures ranging from 1.38 cu/ft (alpine specs) to 2.15 cu/ft with a narrow slot port, a bit wider slot port, and a 4" aeroport. Rear sub/port, sub up/port up, sub up/port back were tried. Different orientations were tested as well - angling the box, facing forward, etc. All of them seem to be peaky around 50hz, although some positions yielded overall lower bass up front. From this, it's leading to a couple things.

a) 600W is enough for the 'sweet spot' 50hz note to be very loud and not so much for others

b. my cabin gain/environment is a pita and can't do much

c) still haven't found a good enclosure even after a bunch of different boxes

I'm still going to try measuring just the box output vs box + cabin gain output to narrow the cause.

FWIW i had 1 type R in a bandpass on about 500w and it slammed the lows and was not 50hz peaky. This was in an extended cab s10.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

As bit of an update, changing the sub crossover slope from 12db to 18db/octave seemed to make it quite a bit better leading to a phase issue (12db slope shifts phase 180, 6db = 90 shift or whatever). A couple songs still sound like garbage though. One of them is brad paisley - river bank. Some of the bass notes sound like my sub is going to explode. It sounds almost like its clipping hard, which is weird because even songs with louder bass like a skrillex tune are clean and loud. Can anyone confirm if this song is recorded this way with certain louder bass frequencies or if it's just my system (most likely)?

Also, when I go home this weekend, I'll start taking a couple mic measurements.

Port area does not determine your bandwidth or make you have a peaky enclosure.

Port area is NOT based on box volume. It is based on driver Sd and Xmax along with tuning frequency.
The same driver in 4 cuft or 6 cuft needs the same amount of port area. A driver with high Xmax needs more port area in 4 cuft than a driver with low Xmax in 4 cuft.
"Bandwidth" is NOT based on port size (this statement is crazy if you know anything about how a port works).
Only way the port area would affect bandwidth is if the port is small enough that it does not operate correctly.
Tuning too low will create a dip in response before the tuned frequency, tuning higher will allow for a flatter response and if you keep raising the tuning you get the peak in response at and around tuned frequency.
b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived