Powering 16,000+ Watts

I have talked to Dom Iraggi and I know for sure I am getting his 4 alt bracket. I've had multiple people who I trusted tell me to run at least one 200a or smaller alternator in order to support my normal car functions. After talking to Dominick Iraggi he told me to get 4 260amp alternators, that they would supply me with the most power for my daily driving setup, since they have great idling amperage and I would never see full power without reving the engine (which I wouldn't do).

I know plenty of guys on here run 300a alts and bigger, so thats where my conflict comes in there. I want to make sure I'm giving my amps as much power as possible, and I'm willing to go as small or big as I need to.

I just got off the phone with someone at powermaster, and they said that my best option would be 4 of their 200a alternators w/ adjustable internal voltage regulators, where I could turn the voltage up to 15.0 and just leave it there safely- and that again with a larger alternator it would take high rpms to really take advantage of the higher output.

I've also had people tell me that I should go with powermaster over Iraggi, and that the 220 amp powermaster alternators would put out more power than Iraggis 260 amp alternators because of ratings. The way it was explained to me the Iraggis were rated peak while the powermaster were the actual output? This doesn't seem right but I honestly don't know.

So for question #1, would 260amp alternators definitely be my best compromise?

And question #2, would Iraggi alternators put out more power than powermaster, or vice versa?

Anyone with any experience at all please chime in because I hope to be buying them really soon.

And for the last part of my question, I'm currently running 5 optima yellowtops for the simple reason that they are the best batteries available in my area. I've found a few places that I'm willing to buy from online, and even driving a few hours away to pick up from.

My biggest worry- while I know dropping down to 12v hurts your score, is that if I go lower than that I'll damage my amps. I pray the alternators alone will be enough to keep my voltage above 12v on full tilt, if they can't what other batteries could anyone recommend?

And question #3, would different batteries really make all the difference?

Thanks a lot, I simply don't have a lot of experience in this area and can use all the advice I can get.

Edited by tejcurrent

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

well if i was you and this is just me i would run 3 300 amp alts and one 200 or 260 as far as batteries go i would look at Powermaster or Kinetik

Thats what I was thinking, but Dom Iraggi said that I might get better results from smaller alts simply because of the idling amperage difference. I know he makes the things and should be a reliable source, so I hate to second guess him, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right before I drop the money on it.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

I would say go for it even if you have to rev your engine up a little to get the full output out of the 300s it wont really hurt anything pluss while your driving its gonna do a hell of a job charging your batteries up

My biggest problem is I have a bit of a lead foot. I've been metering before and been reving the engine just to have someone tap my shoulder and point to my dash and see that I was over 5000rpms. I just can't hear or feel the engine after a certain point :( I would much rather not rev if I can help it. Also most comps don't let you go over 2000rpms, which the 300s amperage wouldn't be much more than the 260 at that point.

260 amp / 155 amp idle

300 amp / 135 amp idle

^are those what I'll actually see, or peak rating?

Edited by tejcurrent

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

My biggest problem is I have a bit of a lead foot. I've been metering before and been reving the engine just to have someone tap my shoulder and point to my dash and see that I was over 5000rpms. I just can't hear or feel the engine after a certain point :( I would much rather not rev if I can help it. Also most comps don't let you go over 2000rpms, which the 300s amperage wouldn't be much more than the 260 at that point.

260 amp / 155 amp idle

300 amp / 135 amp idle

^are those what I'll actually see, or peak rating?

Well u answered ur own question right there.... if you don't want to rev it at all then go with the highest idle output u can get. :)

No alt can actually do what any company says.... because they become less efficient as they get hot. I would take the 4 260's and just make sure to get some good batts and I don't see you having any problems.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

I don't remember if I've told you before but we get Optimas cheap. If you want to get some of the bigger G31s let me know. As for above, I don't have personal experience with those companies but I'd get 260s over the 300s just because of the higher idle output. Thats 80 extra amps of idle output for 4 alts.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Well u answered ur own question right there.... if you don't want to rev it at all then go with the highest idle output u can get. :)

No alt can actually do what any company says.... because they become less efficient as they get hot. I would take the 4 260's and just make sure to get some good batts and I don't see you having any problems.

Right lol. I understand maybe I worded it wrong. I was told the ratings were peak/rms ratingson the amp- and those were peak. Meaning I'll never see anything near 200 from a 200, or 300 from a 300 and so on is this true? And do some companies do more? I don't know if that helps clarify my question or not, but I'm really leaning to just going with the 260s and praying for the best. I really want to get the most for my money, and an extra $50 or so an alt wouldn't be as important as performance.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

I don't remember if I've told you before but we get Optimas cheap. If you want to get some of the bigger G31s let me know. As for above, I don't have personal experience with those companies but I'd get 260s over the 300s just because of the higher idle output. Thats 80 extra amps of idle output for 4 alts.

Thanks, do the g31s fit under the hood of your Yukon? I'd have to actually stick one of those g31s in the back to see if it would fit or not- they're a good bit bigger!

Edited by tejcurrent

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

I haven't tried under my hood because I know it would require some work & I'm currently still running a d34 there. They're probably close to the same size as the powermaster 3100s and I know Meade managed to squeeze one of those under his hood but it required cutting on the inside of the fender. I did upgrade to a pair of G31s in the back and they sit perfect between my rear seats. I think the biggest difference in size is the G31s are longer & maybe slightly taller. I'll measure mine tomorrow and get back with you on that. Since I upgraded my pair in the back I have noticed less voltage drop.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg