Second Skin Audio

Zv4 10" enclosure?

any one know the optimum enclosure for best performance for a Zv4 10" on 2200 rms? I'm shooting for 1.81 net at 32 hz for an all around musical box? no burp just straight daily bumping music. thanks guys

without more specific information about your install no-one here can give you an optimal box. also, what do you mean by "best performance"? most morons here just think that means loud.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

what info you need? ill be using 1/0 off all around, big 3, die hard platinum agm under hood, second battery and HO alt coming soon.? its in a single cab pickup wedge box sub inverted in center, 4" aero port facing passenger wall. what else you need? and by best performance i guess I'm another "moron" says the one with the stupidest phrases describing himself, but yes loud but sounds like musical bass not just noise.

what info you need? ill be using 1/0 off all around, big 3, die hard platinum agm under hood, second battery and HO alt coming soon.? its in a single cab pickup wedge box sub inverted in center, 4" aero port facing passenger wall. what else you need?

sounds like you already got it all figured out yourself.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

what info you need? ill be using 1/0 off all around, big 3, die hard platinum agm under hood, second battery and HO alt coming soon.? its in a single cab pickup wedge box sub inverted in center, 4" aero port facing passenger wall. what else you need? and by best performance i guess I'm another "moron" says the one with the stupidest phrases describing himself, but yes loud but sounds like musical bass not just noise.

I just did a box for a 10" Z.v4 a couple months ago. The first thing I can tell you is one 4" port is going to be woefully inadequate. That's only 12.57 sq. in. of port area. The box I did had 30 sq. in. and if I could have fit more I would have. These are very high excursion subs and they need a lot of port. The box I did had 1.5 cubes net, but that was more just how it worked out to fit the space. Your 1.81 cubes net tuned to 32 Hz should work very well. Three 4" ports would probably be ideal (I like lots of port area) but you could probably get away with two if you are using aeroports. The tough part is going to be fitting those ports in there, its a small box and with low tuning and a fair amount of port area they are going to have to be pretty long. If you decide to go with a slot port I would give it at least 30 sq. in.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I just did a box for a 10" Z.v4 a couple months ago. The first thing I can tell you is one 4" port is going to be woefully inadequate. That's only 12.57 sq. in. of port area. The box I did had 30 sq. in. and if I could have fit more I would have. These are very high excursion subs and they need a lot of port. The box I did had 1.5 cubes net, but that was more just how it worked out to fit the space. Your 1.81 cubes net tuned to 32 Hz should work very well. Three 4" ports would probably be ideal (I like lots of port area) but you could probably get away with two if you are using aeroports. The tough part is going to be fitting those ports in there, its a small box and with low tuning and a fair amount of port area they are going to have to be pretty long. If you decide to go with a slot port I would give it at least 30 sq. in.

Let's see... 1.8cf @ 32hz with (3) 4" aeros. Those would only need to be about 53" long each. Yeah... not a great suggestion. I don't care how much port area you like.

I did 1.4cf @ 28hz with a single 4" and it got pretty f'n loud and low. I also did 3cf with a 6" and it was louder but peaky.

The problem with aeros is the length. One full length aero in 1.8cf would get you where you need to be if you don't play a shit ton of super slowed stuff. You may be better off doing a slot so you can facilitate more port area though.

Let's see... 1.8cf @ 32hz with (3) 4" aeros. Those would only need to be about 53" long each. Yeah... not a great suggestion. I don't care how much port area you like.

I did 1.4cf @ 28hz with a single 4" and it got pretty f'n loud and low. I also did 3cf with a 6" and it was louder but peaky.

The problem with aeros is the length. One full length aero in 1.8cf would get you where you need to be if you don't play a shit ton of super slowed stuff. You may be better off doing a slot so you can facilitate more port area though.

One 4" port is going to get you port compression after about 400 watts. Yeah... not a great suggestion.

Every design has compromises somewhere. Its up to the individual person to decided where they want those compromises to be. I don't like to compromise port area if I can avoid it, hence my suggestion. I never said fitting three 4" port would be easy, which is why I also said two 4" aero would probably work as well. They are still going to have to be 33" long each so they aren't going to be an easy solution either. A 6" aero would be better, but it would have to be 37" long.

I used a slot port on box I built, and its probably the least difficult solution. Its still going to have to be fairly long and have more than one corner in it, depending on what your space is like.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

You say that like port compression is a bad thing.

But if you enjoy using port area near Sd... why are you suggesting aeros at all? Why not just suggest a quarter wave? Or hell... a true T-Line. I mean... who doesn't enjoy 4 or 5ft long ports? It's not, "not easy"... it's asinine.

Of course building is a compromise. And smaller boxes magnify them. Nobody like to compromise port area, but at some point you have to take your head out of the computer and think about actually implementing the thing in its intended environment. Let's see a sketchup of a a 1.8cf box with a 37" long 6" aero.

Archived