big 3 fuse location

I wanna go ahead and do the big 3 on my car some time soon(long overdue). I know i wanna fuse between the alternator + and the battery +. Is it best to fuse closer to the alternator + or the battery +????

If the alternator is constantly producing current should i fuse closer to the alternator? But then again the battery holds a constant charge so why not fuse closer to the battery??

I am just confused about the whole thing... If anyone could explain and set it straight that would be super spiffy. :-[

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

Im pretty sure you should fuse it by the alt and by the batt, so two fuses on the one line. Id recomend using something like the stinger circut breakers, just incase the fuse would blow, all you would have to do is flip a switch, and not go and have to dig around under the hood trying to replace a fuse. But that depends on how much room you have to work with. Theres no room under my caddy hood, so circute breakers are just easyier for me.

Are you running a high output alt? If your not, I wouldnt even really worry about fusing it, stock wires are not fused going to the battery, the fuse is too mainly to protect your after market alt that cost $400 or more. But If you do the big 3 and you fuse it, remember to remove the stock pos wire otherwise your fuse on your newer thicker gauge wire is useless.

Hope that helps you some ;)

Wow just a little off on that one.

First off, personally i do not see a need for a fuse on a 1ft wire run, if there is a problem, let it burn.. hardly anyone will fuse a big 3 upgrade from the alt. to the batt.

Second, the fuse is only there to protect the wire. PERIOD.

Last but not least there is no need to remove the factory alt. charge wire, remember the whole reason you are doing this wire upgrade.......... path of least resistance.

end rant/

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Im pretty sure you should fuse it by the alt and by the batt, so two fuses on the one line. Id recomend using something like the stinger circut breakers, just incase the fuse would blow, all you would have to do is flip a switch, and not go and have to dig around under the hood trying to replace a fuse. But that depends on how much room you have to work with. Theres no room under my caddy hood, so circute breakers are just easyier for me.

Are you running a high output alt? If your not, I wouldnt even really worry about fusing it, stock wires are not fused going to the battery, the fuse is too mainly to protect your after market alt that cost $400 or more. But If you do the big 3 and you fuse it, remember to remove the stock pos wire otherwise your fuse on your newer thicker gauge wire is useless.

Hope that helps you some ;)

I think the factory charging wire from the alt. passes throught the fusebox.

Wow just a little off on that one.

First off, personally i do not see a need for a fuse on a 1ft wire run, if there is a problem, let it burn.. hardly anyone will fuse a big 3 upgrade from the alt. to the batt.

Second, the fuse is only there to protect the wire. PERIOD.

Last but not least there is no need to remove the factory alt. charge wire, remember the whole reason you are doing this wire upgrade.......... path of least resistance.

end rant/

the reason i thought about fusing it is because the wire from my alt to my battery will be around 3 feet long. I read some where that fusing it would be the safe way to go. So, even with the wire being longer than 1 foot, do you still recommend that i not fuse it??? if i should fuse it, closer to the battery or alt?

I think the factory charging wire from the alt. passes throught the fusebox.

My factory wire does not go to the fusebox from the alt. It goes directly to the + of the battery. But, it is a distance away(around 3 feet). My alt is in the front lower left, while my battery is on the right upper rear side of my engine compartment.

If it was my car I would NOT fuse it.

As long as your wire is routed correctly and terminaled tight, you would be ok.

Now is fusing it even safer? YES. and you would fuse it by the battery.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

yea like ray said. some wires pass through the fuse box, some dont. mine doesnt. just add on to the existing wires like he said. do that with all the upgrades with the big 3. leave everything alone, just add. another thing, ive heard sometimes if theres a short in your electrical system, ur battery can explode.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

yea like ray said. some wires pass through the fuse box, some dont. mine doesnt. just add on to the existing wires like he said. do that with all the upgrades with the big 3. leave everything alone, just add. another thing, ive heard sometimes if theres a short in your electrical system, ur battery can explode.

alright man sounds good, thanks for the advice!