Second Skin Audio

Help me choose a 10" sub for factory subwoofer enclosure?

CorNut

I currently have a DVC 10" Phoenix Gold RSd in the factory sub location and it sounds mediocre at best. I have an Infinity Kappa amp pushing 400w@2ohm to it. While the RSd is designed for .3-.7 sealed, it doesn't output much. I know I won't get anything spectacular to go inside the box but I'm hoping there's a better option? I read the 10" Dayton Audio HO subs do well in small ported boxes but mine is too small. I'm hoping to find a sub that's capable of 2ohm so I can get 400w out of my amp and capable of having at least decent spl. I am willing to modify the box a bit by adding an external port or something if there's something that will sound decent in a .5 cu ft ported box but I'm sure that's a tall order. I really would prefer something ported but wanting to utilize the factory box probably prevents that but I'm open to suggestions.

The box used to be for an 8 from the factory but I ruined it thinking bigger was better. I should have gotten a quality 8, but I was ignorant at the time. I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction so I can salvage my factory box. I don't have room for adding a box.

I guess I can just put a piece of mdf over it since it's flat and I can just do a cutout for an 8. Is there an 8 that's capable of 2ohm and porting in .5 cu ft? The exhaust on the car is pretty loud, I'm looking for SPL more than SQ

Archived