Need help with a no crank no start issue.

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 super crew with 5.4l

I am having a no crank / no start issue. It just happened 7/7/2014 when I went shopping. I returned to the truck and nothing at all when I turned the key. I have lights inside.
I check all the fuses in the fuse panel. I pulled the battery and had tested and it was bad so I put a brand new battery in. Cleaned all the contact points on the cables to the battery. Still nothing ?
When the key is turned you can here typical noises but when key is turned to start I can hear a clicking noise in the fuse panel and it seems to concide with the radio shutting back off.
Security light is normal
Tried tapping on the starter with a hammer still no crank or start.
At this point I think it has to be the starter, would this be a correct assessment?

I hear a click and that is it. The click happens when the radio goes off and I can hear the click coming from the fuse panel.

Try to start it by jumping the starter with the ignition key on. You could have an ignition problem.

truthsayer

I will try that tomorrow.

and I did check the ignition fuses and they were good.

found the problem.

the solenoid wire to the starter was so corroded that it detached.

20140709_193122_zps35324978.jpg

Glad to hear you found it, that's why I always check the solenoid first. Makes you feel good when it's a simple fix and doesn't cost anything.

truthsayer

I got a new starter coming anyway. Might as well replace it so I dont have to fight with this again in the near future.

Archived