Sundown Audio

am I better off with SD vs SA series?

i really dont know alot about porting as i have most of my boxes built for me :( just dont have the time to do them myself. im planning on building my next one tho for my 2 ct sounds strato 18's :) hope someone on here can help you out. cant wait to see pics.

no VS threads

I have no problem with a user asking which would be a better product for their use if its the same brand name, and the user posted it in the correct sub-forum (which he did).

The "versus" threads become an issue when its Brand A vs Brand B and you get everyone and there mother that are biased to Brand A talking down Brand B and saying things that are not always true. Then in return your get those Brand B users pissed and start dogging on Brand A and usually resort to insults to the other people posting in the thread because what they said...

not sure if this has always been said but i think making a new box would give you the best possible results.

for sure it would, I'm after the best option that uses the factory box that's already formed to my car and bolts in to keep it secure. After displacement it's .59 after modifications, which is still slightly under optimum and that's doing an external port which I'll try to not make "too" ugly, not to that stage yet but I'll post pics whenever I have another update up until the day I install the SA-8 into the box and put it in my car. My factory box, while very sturdy for being plastic, at the end of the day it "is" plastic and won't have the same results some good mdf will have but I'm ok with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not very skilled with the jigsaw, I was planning to sand it a bit and paint it black to semi match the factory box's color but I won't be able to sand it enough to fix my work. It looks like I'll end up having to carpet it. It's a little smaller than I was hoping, it's .65 cu ft so .57 after displacement but it'll do. If I add more layers I won't be able to get to my spare tire. It will probably be a few days before I work on it anymore but I'll update when I do. It's almost done but I won't have the time to finish this week, possibly not even next week but I'm hoping I'll be able to find time, otherwise it'll be 3 weeks.

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

sd3.jpg

man i hope that holds. u should try a good belt sander to kinda uniform the outside then fiberglass coat it for strength and shape. then sand and paint. should look alot better than carpet and be alot stronger bond on your multi layer spacers. that sa 8 looks nice. i may have to get one.

man i hope that holds. u should try a good belt sander to kinda uniform the outside then fiberglass coat it for strength and shape. then sand and paint. should look alot better than carpet and be alot stronger bond on your multi layer spacers. that sa 8 looks nice. i may have to get one.

it'll hold for sure. I was planning to sand it down and maybe use some foam to fill any voids but fiberglass is an option. I have lots of fiberglass, I just took a mold for a sub box in a grand prix for a family member. Despite how this box looks, I can actually build boxes. Here's one I did a couple weeks ago in a single cab ranger. I barely got the .5 cu ft I needed for it but I made it work and it's 100% out of the way.

IMG_20140720_133324nopm.jpg

that pic wasn't the finished shot, I never did take one, but I will next time he's over. Those wires are all hidden now and the box is actually up against the back wall, it wasn't secured yet in this pic, I just took that to send the image to another friend to show him I got it to fit in there. There was no room for error on the measurements on that box. Luckily the one for the SA-8 isn't going to be seen by anybody, that car's more of a toy that I drive on the weekends when I wanna autocross or play on rural roads