Raspberry Pi Carputer

So I have been looking at the Raspberry Pi and all the crazy things it can do, and one of the popular things to do with it is make it into a media center, so i thought it'd be cool to implement one into a car stereo, i searched on here and didnt see anything just searching rasberry, but has anyone attempted this. I think it would be simple enough because it uses a cell phone charger for power, and it has a aux port so you could plug it into a equalizer and run volume from that. Anyway it was just an idea floating through my head and was curious if anyone else has tried it, or if it even made sense to attempt.

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

1 Planet Audio BIg Bang 15

Powerbass 1500,1

I was toying with the idea before doing my Nexus install. There are some cheap 7" touchscreens you can use, and you would be better off with an a relay going into your 12V system for power. They sell B+/GND/Acc harnesses for the Pi.

You could use a USB DAC to get L/R RCA outtputs and run those to an EQ for cleaner audio than the 3.5mm port as well.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I was toying with the idea before doing my Nexus install. There are some cheap 7" touchscreens you can use, and you would be better off with an a relay going into your 12V system for power. They sell B+/GND/Acc harnesses for the Pi.

You could use a USB DAC to get L/R RCA outtputs and run those to an EQ for cleaner audio than the 3.5mm port as well.

Yeah i saw a 7" for like 70 i think it was on amazon which it would probably fit almost perfectly where i mount it, and i was actually trying to figure out the best way to power i figured i could probably trust myself to remember to power it off after i'm done with it, and i was thinking about a DAC because i've have heard the 3.5mm are pretty crappy!

I had just made a thread about this earlier in the week.

Get the b/b+ model so you get the 3.5mm jack.

If you need help compiling a kernel or anything let me know

I realized after i made the thread i misspelled it so maybe the reason i missed it, only thing like i said above is i have heard the 3.5mm doesn't put out the best sound so i think ill run a usb DAC to make sure it doesn't have that issue.

Also this will be my first attempt at linux or anything like it so i think i'm just gonna put xbmc on it and run it that way because i like the layout of it, but if i run into any issues i'll surely hit you up. ! might also eventually run a wifi dongle so i can use it to play spotify eventually, probably run it in the house first for a bit make sure i like the setup then move it to the car!

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

Powerbass 1500,1

One other thing i was thinking about is would there be a way for me add a couple push buttons to skip forward/back and pause/play? I'd like to be use these functions without having to look down at my screen which is gonna be down at the bottom of my console. i thought about just using a keyboard or remote but then i also need to know where those are at all times, where as the buttons would be in the same spot.

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

Powerbass 1500,1

One other thing i was thinking about is would there be a way for me add a couple push buttons to skip forward/back and pause/play? I'd like to be use these functions without having to look down at my screen which is gonna be down at the bottom of my console. i thought about just using a keyboard or remote but then i also need to know where those are at all times, where as the buttons would be in the same spot.

That would require either wiring something up with an arduino or finding a 4 button USB keypad and modifying it

2008 Subaru Forester XT

That would require either wiring something up with an arduino or finding a 4 button USB keypad and modifying it

Okay then i'll probably just use a media center remote or i'll use my phone for internet and use the xbmc remote on my phone

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

Powerbass 1500,1

Okay then i'll probably just use a media center remote or i'll use my phone for internet and use the xbmc remote on my phone

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of not having to use a touch screen? lol

Your other option would be a cheap USB or bluetooth media remote. You'd need a bluetooth dongle to use it with that obviously.

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of not having to use a touch screen? lol

Your other option would be a cheap USB or bluetooth media remote. You'd need a bluetooth dongle to use it with that obviously.

True i just figured it'd be easier to find the button on my phone screen vs trying to find the button on my touchscreen, but i'll probably just grab a cheap usb media remote!

!999.5 Volkswagen Jetta

Powerbass 1500,1

Archived