Second Skin Audio

Hello all

Could someone please explain to me what f3 and f10 mean when looking at subwoofer specs? Like on this sub it says f3 is around 41hz and that the f10 at 36hz. And the tuning frequency is 50 hz? I am confused because I am trying to build a new box and don't know if I should tune it to around 50 Hz or go to 36 hz? I listen to a lot of rap, and also some rock. And I will be using a CT sounds 750.1Dd amplifier amp to push two of the 4 ohms version subs I have, which are linked below. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

http://cadencesound.com/content/S2W8.pdf

sig_zps1a8d8f11.jpg

The F3 and F10 are the frequencies at which the sound level has rolled off 3 and 10 db respectively.

A 50 Hz tuning is very high for a car subwoofer and is going to significantly limit your ability to play low notes. A mid 30s tune is much more reasonable, but I don't know how well those subs will perform at that tuning.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

oh okay, so I tuned my box that I have right now to 35hz. And sounds decent, but I have a bit of port noise.

Edit also the reason I made this was to understand f3 and f10. And also to get input if I should tune to around 50hz or lower.

sig_zps1a8d8f11.jpg

oh okay, so I tuned my box that I have right now to 35hz. And sounds decent, but I have a bit of port noise.

Edit also the reason I made this was to understand f3 and f10. And also to get input if I should tune to around 50hz or lower.

Theoretical F3 mean nothing in the context of car audio due to cabin gain. Also port noise have nothing to do with F3, it's related to peak airspeed in the port being too high and causing turbulent flow. You fix port noise increasing port area and/or rounding any sharp edges throughout the port.

If you hear any kind of low tuned music 35Hz is fine. Just fix the port.

Overall I would recommend to take the time to come around everyday and briefly read the threads of the day, best way what problems people have and how get solved.

Archived