Second Skin Audio

Kenwood KFC-W3013PS opinions

IronPope

I am ready to jump on the Kenwood KFC W3013PS 12" subwoofer. I have the dreaded Audiopoop 18000D to drive them. Hopefully it wont fry them. Waiting till next spring for a full re-tool with all SoundQube stuff. this rig is to just get me through till then.

How good are the Kenwood KFC W3013PS 12" subwoofer... will the Audiopoop 1800D fry them AT 2 ohm? reviews are high on them.

They are like $50 a piece or something right?

Just use the volume control and you should be fine.

I ran mine on a kac9105d which is suppose to do 900 at 2 ohm. They handled that, figure the Kenwood isn't any worse than an auiopipe so you should be fine.

i had infinity perfect 12's rated at 300 RMS @ 2ohm load on the Audiobrute 1800D .. and they pounded well for a long time... till one day.. they locked up and that was it... The AP 1800P Clamps at about 1000 watts clean... give or take. if your survived 900Watts on that Kenny... i should be good

Clean power and signal and engage your subsonic filter low end stuff won't tolerate too much abuse so hope for the best if you do, the funny thing is that the difference in output from 400 to 550 will be basically inaudible and therefore practically useless, if you want output rather than overpowering too much do a nice efficient ported box.

yeah i will keep that gain down and filter it ... Sealed Box will keep it from flapping too much for now. Was thinking of adding a 3rd in a tri-box at a 1.333 ohm load. However since these are just stop gap subs untll i get the real woofers... I might just leave it alone and try not to fry them

you'll be fine as-long as you send them an unclipped clean signal

yep I was just about to recommend a sealed box. They tend to bottom out rather quickly ported

Had two 10s in a 2.5 cube tuned to 33hz, and it was obnoxious. Threw them in sealed and it was a night and day difference

Pretty sure you didn't use/tuned your amp subsonic filter correctly and likely you were topping power and/or playing below tuning and your box parameters were not right for the usage conditions. Won't deny these subs are hard to get playing nice on ported since are low EBP but if you care for efficiency it's probably still worth trying.

yep I was just about to recommend a sealed box. They tend to bottom out rather quickly ported

Had two 10s in a 2.5 cube tuned to 33hz, and it was obnoxious. Threw them in sealed and it was a night and day difference

Pretty sure you didn't use/tuned your amp subsonic filter correctly and likely you were topping power and/or playing below tuning and your box parameters were not right for the usage conditions. Won't deny these subs are hard to get playing nice on ported since are low EBP but if you care for efficiency it's probably still worth trying.

nope. Subsonic was set at around 25hz. Wasn't even playing that far below tuning. Only like 31-32hz. They reach excursion fairly quickly.. Threw them in a 1cube sealed, and it was actually decent.

I would recommend the Kenwood XW series. The Excelon subs get surprisingly loud

Archived