Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

DC Audio Level 3 18 power and box?


BigZ

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey There!

so after looking around and browsing here and there and whatnot i've picked up a level 3 18 and i've got a couple questions regarding power and the enclosure for it.

for the power i'm looking at either an AB VFL 80.1 or the SQ 1200.1.

Those two are right around the amount i'd like to spend on an amp and i've got the electrical to back it up, no worries there, if anyone has any better suggestions by all means let me know.

and then for the enclosure I have total dimensions of 25h X 36w X 23d with another inch or so wiggle room any direction if necessary.

The only problem i'm having is that i'd like to use aeroports but am having a hard time achieving a decent port area while maintaining a tuning in the low 30s and preferably 30 on the dot

so my question is what would work best size wise for both the net volume of the enclosure as well as the diameter and number of aeroports to reach my desired tuning frequency and appropriate port area?

Thanks in advance!

-Z

                                                                                                                                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

 

Posted

Not too sure, I'mhaving a hard time grasping the port design of enclosures,but I guess you're right, anywhere in the low 30s would probably work wouldn't it

                                                                                                                                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

 

Posted

Bump of confusion :|

                                                                                                                                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

 

Posted

crammed in the back of a 2007 saturn vue for now.

                                                                                                                                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

 

Posted

Don't get too caught up with the tuning, you won't see any major difference if you tune to 30 "on the dot" or 31. You need to use some sort of port calculator to determine the length of the port, in regards to the port size.

How much port area to you want?

Edit: Just a basic example, if you do recommended volume for the level 3 with 5.5cuft and want 56 sqin of port @ 30hz, you need two 6'' areo-ports that are about 27" long each.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s



 

Posted

I was looking at some of the calculators and using torres program as well, I haven't had much experience and I don't have the budget to experiment too much with things, I guess my main question would be, assuming recommended, or maybe bigger, like 6 cubes or so what would be a good target range for a port area that would have the best output with minimal port noise and whatnot?

And how reliable is the 12-16 sq in per cube "rule of thumb" I've read some people live by it and others absolutely oppose it. Being the noob that I am, should port area even relate to box size? Or more in relation to the T/S parameters and power and whatnot? Or both?

Thanks again guys

                                                                                                                                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

 

Posted

Bumpity bump

I've done some calculations and whatnot and come up with about 105 sq in of port area in about 7 or so cubes, I know it's a good bit above recommended but would that still be acceptable and perform well?

                                                                                                                                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

 

Posted

Alright,did some more math.

I've got roughly 6.5 cuft net with just under 113 sq in of port via a single 12" aero port.

Recommended volume is 5.5, is 6.5 too big and how about port area for optimum output? Too much? Not enough?

                                                                                                                                                This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4010 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...