Painting MDF process

BIGlep

• 1 month later...

Im suprised nobody has mentioned this but the easiest way to me to seal mdf is to go buy a gallon of evercoat slicksand, its a high build polyester primer with hardener, about $50 a gallon. Its basically watered down bondo. Spray 8t with one of those $30 paint guns from harbor freight with a 2.0+ size tip. You can spray it heavy. Spray 1 coat heavy, let it dry and then spray on just a slight dusting of black spray paint to show high and low spots and sand it down smooth. The shit sands easy as pie. For a box i would start off with 180 grit and finish with 220. It can be wetsanded but i dont think i would around mdf. Oh and the shit dries extremely fast. Ive used alot of high dollar primers but this stuff is by far the thickest and it doesnt shrink back like others when sprayed on thick. Whatwver you do dont use any lacquer primers on mdf, it will shrink back terribly and what was once a nice glass like finish will turn into the finish of an orange peel after the lacquer shrinks back months down the road.

Im suprised nobody has mentioned this but the easiest way to me to seal mdf is to go buy a gallon of evercoat slicksand, its a high build polyester primer with hardener, about $50 a gallon. Its basically watered down bondo. Spray 8t with one of those $30 paint guns from harbor freight with a 2.0+ size tip. You can spray it heavy. Spray 1 coat heavy, let it dry and then spray on just a slight dusting of black spray paint to show high and low spots and sand it down smooth. The shit sands easy as pie. For a box i would start off with 180 grit and finish with 220. It can be wetsanded but i dont think i would around mdf. Oh and the shit dries extremely fast. Ive used alot of high dollar primers but this stuff is by far the thickest and it doesnt shrink back like others when sprayed on thick. Whatwver you do dont use any lacquer primers on mdf, it will shrink back terribly and what was once a nice glass like finish will turn into the finish of an orange peel after the lacquer shrinks back months down the road.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=28

?????????????????????????????

damn, I NEED to try this on my next box.....spendy but.........

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived