Looking for a good socket set with every size imaginable...

csshakka

So to bring this thread back up.....

Anyone have recommendations on the mechanic's tool sets from either craftsman or kobalt? All ~230 piece sets (craftsman and kobalt) are $100 right now. Is there anything commonly used that's missing from either of these and would warrant spending more on one of the bigger sets?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338518-22328-85183_0__?productId=3364134

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-230-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00950230000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

I have the kobalt set, it's good for light Mechanic duty but if you're going to be doing major repairs you will definitely need more than what is in that kit.

I have had mine for years and years and the only thing I've ever broke was a Rachet but they exchanged it no questions asked.

Now it would be a good starting point and you can just add tools as you need them though especially for $100 I paid $200 for mine

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I use dura last from auto zone or husky from Homedepot. Both are gaurenteed for life and are 5 min from my house. No hassle and unless you lose it you never have to buy a new one again. Watch some of the craftsmen stuff is not lifetime anymore.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

Seems like $100 is a good price, though remember that in the "230 piece set" 50 of those are bits and 40 are hex keys.

As ken said, I'm a fan of buying a decent set and then sourcing the random ones you find yourself needing separately.

Also something I'd note, I highly prefer 6 point sockets, worth the extra money to me to not round shit off.

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

Personally don't buy sockets from harbor freight... I just had one break on me last night like it was made out of cheap plastic or something lol. I was just trying to get a bolt out for my shocks, and the inside of the socket was shot and the outside of the bolt was perfectly fine... I would go for craftsman, their decently priced, lifetime warranty, and they have solid build quality imo. But at anything I would buy something that has a decent price and lifetime warranty and is readily available near you if you were in need to exchange it.

2000 Ford Focus ZX3

Mods:

Raceland Coilovers

Borla Exhaust

Aftermarket Header

System:

Sony CDX-GT66UPW

Pioneer 6x8's

System Upgrades :

Pioneer MVH-X560BT

2 sets of Rockford Fosgate P1683's

Fi Audio Q 18" D2 ( Currently Own)

DD M1C ( Currently Own)

All SHCA Wires and stuff...

XS Power 4800 ( Stock Replacement)

High Ouput alternator (undecided which company or Amperage.)

Difference between Snap-On and Craftsman. The Craftsman can be replaced at ANY Sears with a no-questions asked approach and in a hurry. The Snap-On....won't break. That's what Dad always said and the tools are justified for him since they make his living as a diesel mechanic.

If I was putting together a set for me, I'd do Craftsman in a heartbeat. Sears aren't shutting down any time soon, the availability to get a replacement is plentiful.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Thanks all. Yeah the two links I posted earlier are both 50% retail which comes to $100 for either set. The craftsman vs. kobalt are nearly identical. Both offer no hassle lifetime warranty, HOWEVER, I'm seeing that Kobalt offers 'sockets for life'. If you lose a socket, they'll send a replacement for cost of shipping.

Think that might be the deciding factor....start off with the kobalt set and if a job needs somethings outside of the set then buy that individually.

EDIT: Either this smaller kobalt or this larger craftsman (http://www.sears.com/craftsman-309-pc-mechanics-tool/p-00941309000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3)

Difference between Snap-On and Craftsman. The Craftsman can be replaced at ANY Sears with a no-questions asked approach and in a hurry. The Snap-On....won't break. That's what Dad always said and the tools are justified for him since they make his living as a diesel mechanic.

If I was putting together a set for me, I'd do Craftsman in a heartbeat. Sears aren't shutting down any time soon, the availability to get a replacement is plentiful.

Agree 100% especially about the snap on stuff not breaking, when time is money not having to replace a tool becomes improtant.

The only reason I buy kobalt over craftsman is because I've had to exchange a couple craftsman tools and they gave me refurbished stuff in return and Lowe's they just have you go grab a new one off the shelf.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived