Post up your RTFM moments, those times when following instructions would've saved you a lot of aggravation.

So, I've been working on an enclosure design for the last week in what little free time I do have. My wife just started a new job, so I've been pitching in more than usual with the house and our daughter while she gets settled and attends extra training and meetings. And, I'm working all the overtime I can at my job, so very little free time.

The enclosure I was working on was 2 cu ft net, tuned to 33.5 hz, same one I started designing for an OA12, then changed subs to an SA12. Somehow, I developed a massive case of rectal cranial inversion, and never thought to go back to the specs and recommended enclosure for Sundown before I started remodelling this enclosure.

OA12 1.5-2.0 cu ft, tuned to 32-35 hz

SA 12 1.75 cu ft, tuned to 32

Would my box work? Yeah probably, but I'm anal enough that I'm scrapping the whole design and going back with Sundown's specs, I'm sure as Hell not going to give rated power to an oversized enclosure.

RTFM Phil.

Anybody else want to share their facepalm moments when you beat your head against a wall for a while, only to have the answer sitting their in the instructions/specs giggling away while you struggle?

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Seams good to me. Put twice rated on that bitch and have fun. I gave my sa12 over rated dirty crappy power in close to 2ft cubed. No problems from the sub. Do some more research on the sub and you will see how under rated they are. I wouldnt redesign shit..not being that busy. Build put it on 1k and be happy.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

before the sa12 motor got turned into a 8" sub we put it on my my friends brz1200 gain maxed boost on and free aired it. It took a crap ton of abuse for so much clipped power before it finally died

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Enclosure recommendations are just that... recommendations.

Instructions are not recommendations. ;-)

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Seams good to me. Put twice rated on that bitch and have fun. I gave my sa12 over rated dirty crappy power in close to 2ft cubed. No problems from the sub. Do some more research on the sub and you will see how under rated they are. I wouldnt redesign shit..not being that busy. Build put it on 1k and be happy.

Enclosure recommendations are just that... recommendations.

Instructions are not recommendations. ;-)

I may go on ahead, just wanted to smack myself in the face for not paying attention, that's the part that irks me. It's like yesterday, I was at work doing something, and couldn't make the financial adjustment I was prepping balance. About that time, I looked at it, and realized I had become mathematically retarded and forgot how to add simple numbers together.

Anyone care to share a facepalm moment?

Like the time I set up the time alignment on my Kenwood X997, and it sounded worse than it did before I started. Then I read the instructions, slapped the shit out of myself, and set it correctly. Instantly worked much better.

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

trying to finish up wiring at 3am. Same colored cable labeled and all.. I connected my positive from the front to a small bank of hc600 kinetiks negative. Luckily I fuse. The worst part was I replaced the fuse and did it again. Yup two times. I just went to bed..came out the next morning and facepalm.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

It's not that I don't have those moments... or that I don't want to share any of them. My trouble is that I have so many of them, I don't know which one to share first. :-)

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

It's not that I don't have those moments... or that I don't want to share any of them. My trouble is that I have so many of them, I don't know which one to share first. :-)

Oh let it fly.

When I was still racing (SCCA Solo2 in a Mazda Miata) I had JUST installed my braided steel brake lines a couple days before the race. This was also one of those rare occasions I skipped the pre-race paranoia induced check the whole car and all vital fluids routine I usually went through. Guess what I found when I got to the race.

The way the Miata's rear brake lines are designed, there's a junction block that receives a single brake line from the master cylinder, and distributes that fluid to both rear brakes. One hard brake line T's off of it to the driver side, passenger side flexible line is screwed straight into it. This dumbass didn't even think to make sure the line was tight, and I just threw it on. It apparently was pissing brake fluid every time I hit the pedal for two days, and I found it at the race. Had to borrow a flare nut wrench and some brake fluid from another racer (God bless well prepared guys that are good sports) so I could pass tech inspection and make the race.

Then there's the time I was pulling a power cable out of my car, completely forgot about the capacitor it was hooked to, and it arc welded itself to the unibody, scaring the Hell out of me in the process.

And the time recently I nuked my subwoofer. When I got it, I misunderstood the specs, and thought it was 350 rms. It wasn't, the 15" version was rated for 350, the 8" I had was only rated for 150rms. I just dialed the sub level on the head unit way down to limit the amp and keep the sub from blowing itself. Then, one day, I'm fiddling with settings, punch up memory recall thinking the settings were all correct, and not realizing that THAT memory location had the sub level set at full blast, +15 instead of the +1 I usually ran. It took about 1.5 seconds to cook the voice coil on the woofer. Again, not double checking things, and ASS U MING things were set the way I thought they were.

My wife likes to tell me there are days she's amazed I don't have a tan line in the shape of my palm on my forehead.

Build Thread

Archived