Second Skin Audio

box for a single x10

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this thread, went down to a local stereo shop and I showed them the box and cut sheet. Then they gave me a quote. $274!! Is this normal for a shop? Otherwise I'll just make it myself lol

If you don't have a table saw just get your cuts done for free at home depot, you will just need to do the sub cutouts with a borrowed jigsaw. Round any inner edges of the port by sanding and you can dismiss the 45s. Get some drywall or MDF screws and some high quality wood glue and some silicone sealant.

Just to bump this thread, went down to a local stereo shop and I showed them the box and cut sheet. Then they gave me a quote. $274!! Is this normal for a shop? Otherwise I'll just make it myself lol

If you don't have a table saw just get your cuts done for free at home depot, you will just need to do the sub cutouts with a borrowed jigsaw. Round any inner edges of the port by sanding and you can dismiss the 45s. Get some drywall or MDF screws and some high quality wood glue and some silicone sealant.

Thanks joe x this will be my second box ill see iif I can get some one from home depot to cut for me. I have titebond 2 and liquid nails. And a jig saw for the sub hole. Just need a few things extra. Again thanks.

Clean Sierra thanks I have never asked a shop for a quote to build me one. I have usually bought the superbass boxes. ill try to make one but if I fail ill just have these guys build it for me

Only way to see if you can build one.....is to build one. (words of wisdom)

This is an old trick I was shown when I was 16 while building my very first box for a 10" pyramid sub I bought at a flea market. My ol' man's best friend was a very wise man......carpenter,plumber, wine maker...a jack of all trades.

One day he came to visit my ol'mam ,he walked passed me while I was working on a box on the driveway, looked at me and said "there's a better way to cut that line"....you just need to find the way to do it!". Words of wisdom(?). I was like "WTF?! give me the answer already!". He came back and told me to get 2 clamps and an aluminum "L" bracket. That was the Cuban version of "necessity is the mother of invention". lol.

IMAG5355_zps05a3e5e7.jpg

Some of the best advise I had ever received. This is my second L bracket...purchased in 2000!

When you're ready to build the box, post up first and we can give you pointers on how to measure and cut. It's an art form!

-Frank

Archived