Second Skin Audio

need help with doing ports

justin0943

I was thinking making the box out of .5 mdf that should give me 2.3 or so,if this isn't enough room I can go l-55in h-16in td-9in bd-10, i just want to know will the 2 sd-2 10 slam harder then a beefy 12 on 1500rms

2.3 cubic feet is still marginal for two of those 10's ported. I just think you're trying to fit 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

I don't know if a single SA12 will live with that much power man, now if you look at the X12 maybe, can't say for sure. I can say that in your limited space, you're going to end up building too small a ported enclosure for a pair of SD-2 10's, or a righteous box for a single 12. A box built to the proper dimensions will usually beat out one built too small/without enough port area.

I'm confuse now so 1 12 be better then the 2 10's. what about 2 sa 8v2 I heard those things are beasts

You're looking for a simple answer, and there isn't one.

All assuming the dimensions you posted:

A. You run 2 10's. More cone area, they can take the power you're talking about with the amp you mentioned. This would be louder IF you build an enclosure big enough for them. The dimensions you've indicated aren't big enough for a pair of 10's in my opinion. The only exception would be build a 2 cubic foot box, and run an appropriately sized external port, which I don't know if you can with your space.

B. You run 1 SD-2 12. Less cone area, probably not as loud as a pair of 10's, more than likely will not appreciate being grossly overpowered like you're proposing with that amp, BUT you do have enough space to build an appropriately sized box.

C. A pair of SA-8's will require 2 cubic feet of airspace net ported. You do not have enough space to build an enclosure to meet that need. See A.

With the space you have, I'd look hard at a single SA12 or SD-2 12. Both require 1.75 cubes, leaving you a little room (but not much) for port displacement. An SA10 or SD-2 10 would be money in that amount of space (easily enough airspace for them.) Does that make sense? I think you're just trying to cram too much woofer into too small a space.

Of course, if you wanted to run a pair of subs sealed, then we're in a whole different ballpark, but you said ported. Ported enclosures take up a LOT more space than sealed.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

okay maybe this be better here a pic of the length of what i have

10599324_752517941478165_748699645642103

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

What is your point?

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

What is your point?

just showing a pic of the room I have I can put in external port to make up the room that I don't have or I just build a box all the way like I said man I'm no box expert I can build it but can't tune it so need all the help I need for the sd-2 10's

2 sundown sd-2 d4

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

Well, if an external port is an option, then yes I think you can do a pair of 10's. Sub displacement may make you a little small on airspace, but with an external port you'll be in the ball park.

So you need a design, now that we know you're in the ballpark for airspace?

Build Thread

Well, if an external port is an option, then yes I think you can do a pair of 10's. Sub displacement may make you a little small on airspace, but with an external port you'll be in the ball park.

So you need a design, now that we know you're in the ballpark for airspace?

yes think you for all the help, now how should I do the port like how big of diameter,total lenght,how far sticking out,how much in the box

2 sundown sd-2 d4

flex tech

box design by Joe X

I'll be somewhat general, since I get the impression you already have experience building sealed enclosures, and just need help with the ported aspect of them. If that's an incorrect assumption, please let me know.

I'd build the enclosure to your max dimensions (pasted from above: h-16in l-35in top depth-9in), that should put you right close to 2 cubic feet, a little less with sub displacement. Sundown recommends 1 cubic foot each, so that's got you in the ballpark. You could also invert the subs so that they aren't digging into your airspace, which would help if you like the look. You're going to need the ENTIRE port to be external, as any amount of it inside the enclosure is going to eat airspace that you can't really afford to give up. A 6" round port, or 6" aero would be my recommendation (16 square inches of port each, 32" between the two), or a slot port with 32 square inches (multiply length and width, when the result is 32" there's your money, like a 4" x 8" slot port for instance.) I'm at work and can't use Torres calculator (my preferred tool) but I'm coming up with 11.25" long on the port (I do not, and would not, take that as gospel until someone has run this all through Torres calculator, but this gives you some direction and idea t least.)

Here's a link to some pics of external ports, so that you can get an idea of what you've got to do. Personally, I think port inside the enclosure looks cleaner but for what you want to do I don't see another way. https://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.stevemeadedesigns.com+external+port+examples&safe=off&biw=1536&bih=732&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5a0JVKjjMO3bsAS44IHQDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=site:www.stevemeadedesigns.com+external+port

Build Thread

id also run those numbers thru something such as winISD (or a similar software of choice) just to get a rough idea of port velocity as well. you will want to try to keep that under say 60 feet per second.

That port area suggestion is straight from Sundown, so I'd imagine it would be okay, but yes WinISD wouldn't be a bad idea.

Like I said, here at work, I get a bit of time here and there to surf and lend a hand, but I have NONE of my enclosure design stuff available here so I'm relegated to either doing the math longhand, or using a free online box calculator (that I do NOT trust 100%.)

Build Thread

...A 6" round port, or 6" aero would be my recommendation (16 square inches of port each, 32" between the two), or a slot port with 32 square inches (multiply length and width, when the result is 32" there's your money, like a 4" x 8" slot port for instance.) I'm at work and can't use Torres calculator (my preferred tool) but I'm coming up with 11.25" long on the port (I do not, and would not, take that as gospel until someone has run this all through Torres calculator, but this gives you some direction and idea t least.)

A 6" round or aero port has 28.27" sq in of port area, not 16". Not sure where you got that number, but anyway if a 6" round port was used you MIGHT be able to get away with just using one.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived