Second Skin Audio

need help with doing ports

justin0943

I'm thinking about keeping my sd-2 10's an going port with it they only need 1cf per sub so I have about 2.3-.5 I'm good if I don't like they why they sound I'm going to do 4 of them instead

2 sd-2 12 sealed or 10 port specs-h-16in l-35in top depth-9in bottom depth-10in

if I do 4 sd-2 10's it'll be h-16in l-55in top depth-9in bottom depth-10in

I realy like to have port because I never had one an was always told a good port can out do multiples smaller subs sealed

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

any help

2 sundown sd-2 d4

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

So what exactly do you want/need? An enclosure design? An opinion?

Probably help to know what vehicle these are going in, max dimensions, power you're running, ect. As a rule of thumb, ported enclosures will extend lower than sealed, and have more output, but the sound is very different. More boomy and resonant to my ears. If that's what you're into, then you're on the right track, but if you like tight/punchy bass I'd hang onto your sealed enclosure just in case you decide to go back.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Probably help to know what vehicle these are going in, max dimensions, power you're running, ect. As a rule of thumb, ported enclosures will extend lower than sealed, and have more output, but the sound is very different. More boomy and resonant to my ears. If that's what you're into, then you're on the right track, but if you like tight/punchy bass I'd hang onto your sealed enclosure just in case you decide to go back.

well for right now I'm just going to do the 2 sd-2 10's on t1000bd plan on going 1500rms soon its 02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab here the room h-16in l-35in top depth-9in bottom depth-10in I listen to rap and hip hop so I want to go port never had one before so I'm lost in this department. in your experence which would be better the 2 sd-2 10's or beefy 12

2 sundown sd-2 d4

flex tech

box design by Joe X

well for right now I'm just going to do the 2 sd-2 10's on t1000bd plan on going 1500rms soon its 02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab here the room h-16in l-35in top depth-9in bottom depth-10in I listen to rap and hip hop so I want to go port never had one before so I'm lost in this department. in your experence which would be better the 2 sd-2 10's or beefy 12

2 10's would be more cone area, but you'd be splitting the power on them, but I'm concerned about you having enough space with those measurements. I'm coming up with 2.1 cubic feet of airspace (14.5 x 33.5 x 7.5, your measurements less .75 for thickness of the mdf should be your internals measurements) and that's gross. SD-2 10's recommend 1 cubic foot each, and you still need space for the port. I think you could run 1 10 or 1 12 easily in those dimensions, but 2 may be pushing it.

Anyone else want to chime in? I don't have access to my usual box design stuff here at work, I'm doing this with a calculator off the top of my head. My calculator I trust as fairly accurate, my memory I absolutely do not.

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I was thinking making the box out of .5 mdf that should give me 2.3 or so,if this isn't enough room I can go l-55in h-16in td-9in bd-10, i just want to know will the 2 sd-2 10 slam harder then a beefy 12 on 1500rms

2 sundown sd-2 d4

flex tech

box design by Joe X

I was thinking making the box out of .5 mdf that should give me 2.3 or so,if this isn't enough room I can go l-55in h-16in td-9in bd-10, i just want to know will the 2 sd-2 10 slam harder then a beefy 12 on 1500rms

If you are going to build it out of 1/2" material I would suggest using plywood instead of MDF since its stiffer. In either case you will need to brace the box very well.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2.3 cubic feet is still marginal for two of those 10's ported. I just think you're trying to fit 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

I don't know if a single SA12 will live with that much power man, now if you look at the X12 maybe, can't say for sure. I can say that in your limited space, you're going to end up building too small a ported enclosure for a pair of SD-2 10's, or a righteous box for a single 12. A box built to the proper dimensions will usually beat out one built too small/without enough port area.

Build Thread

2.3 cubic feet is still marginal for two of those 10's ported. I just think you're trying to fit 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

I don't know if a single SA12 will live with that much power man, now if you look at the X12 maybe, can't say for sure. I can say that in your limited space, you're going to end up building too small a ported enclosure for a pair of SD-2 10's, or a righteous box for a single 12. A box built to the proper dimensions will usually beat out one built too small/without enough port area.

I'm confuse now so 1 12 be better then the 2 10's. what about 2 sa 8v2 I heard those things are beasts

2 sundown sd-2 d4

flex tech

box design by Joe X

Archived