noobslayer77 Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 hey, just wondering about how the free air resonance of a woofer comes into play when designing an enclosure. Do subs with lower Fs play lower than subs with a higher Fs? Assuming motor force and cone area are the same. Also, what goes into the Fs of a woofer, like what parts of the sub go into the Fs number? I noticed the Fs on the re xxx 18 is around 15 hz, but most box designs i've seen are tuned between 28 and 32. That seems like a lot of space between the free air resonance and the port tuning of the box. 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 2 13w7s skar 3500 cnf mids (soon) xs batteries
DylanBunch Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 I could be wrong, but from what I've experienced in sealed boxes and 4th orders, lower the FS the lower it plays. But only when sealed boxes come into play, and like I said I could be wrong but it's just seemed that way with my experiences. A friend of mine had 2 skar zvx 15s (fs of like 39hz) in a 4th and they didn't dig below 30. I've had a Fi sp4 15 (fs of 27-28) and it played down to 24-25hz in a box almost identical spec wise as the skar box. 2006 Ford Explorer 2 Team AA/Sundown 15s 6th order Ct Sounds 7k 4 PRV Mr500 8s Rockford p1000-2 Team Subsonic Lows
Miguels Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 if the Fs are too high you need a bigger sealed side to lower the F's thats what i was told by builders.. im talking about bandpass boxes my logshttp://www.stevemead...-my-new-set-up/my blow through loghttp://www.stevemead...future-updates/ 96 ss http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164094-96-impala-ss-build/
noobslayer77 Posted September 15, 2014 Author Report Posted September 15, 2014 I had 2 zvx 15's on a sk 3500 in a 6 cube box tuned at 34 and they didn't go below 30. now i got a w7 tuned at 30 hz that goes to about 20 hz, and the subsonic is set at 30. I've got the 2 zvxs and the sk3500 just layin around. not sure what to do with them lol. i was thinkin about takin them apart and making a frankenwoofer. I like the motor on them, but the spider is like 6 inches, i'd like to run a sundown x15 basket and soft parts. 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 2 13w7s skar 3500 cnf mids (soon) xs batteries
noobslayer77 Posted September 15, 2014 Author Report Posted September 15, 2014 so for ported, the fs doesnt make a difference? its all about tuning freq? I don't have room for a bandpass 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 2 13w7s skar 3500 cnf mids (soon) xs batteries
Miguels Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 just because you have the x15 frame and softparts it doesnt mean it will work. the motor has to have clearance for the amount of travel or the sub will bottom out. you can get them to play low on a regular 12 spoke basket my logshttp://www.stevemead...-my-new-set-up/my blow through loghttp://www.stevemead...future-updates/ 96 ss http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164094-96-impala-ss-build/
Swordlordboy1234 Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 EBP > FS when figuring out what enclosure to run with your subs. My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37 My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/ 2016 Mazda 6 Touring JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction B2 prototype DSP 6to8 B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set 2 B2 Class H quattro's 1 B2 Zero.5R @.5 2 B2 HNv3 12 d2 B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk Northstar Group 35 under the hood 100ft 2/0 welding cable 30ft 4ga welding cable 20ft 8ga welding cable All stinger OFC speaker wire Soundrive custom RCA's Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?
TRON Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 Fs is the frequency where the momentum of the cone, combined with the suspension's stiffness makes the cone move the most. How tuning the port to the Fs affects output, I don't know. Google it though, I've seen articles the size of the bible on this topic. Avalanche Alpine Type S comps Alpine Type S 10'' Alpine MPR-F300 Alpine MRX-M50 Mechamn 270 XS Power d3400s
noobslayer77 Posted September 15, 2014 Author Report Posted September 15, 2014 Ok. thats good to know about Fs. What is EBP? 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 2 13w7s skar 3500 cnf mids (soon) xs batteries
DylanBunch Posted September 15, 2014 Report Posted September 15, 2014 What I was talking about has nothing to do with ported boxes or determining what box to put them in, strictly my experience with how subs react depending on FS in specifically 4th order bandpasses and sealed boxes. I do agree with going by ebp to determine what box to put a sub in 2006 Ford Explorer 2 Team AA/Sundown 15s 6th order Ct Sounds 7k 4 PRV Mr500 8s Rockford p1000-2 Team Subsonic Lows
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.