Second Skin Audio

SoundQubed, how much of a difference?

redwolf2

If you cant hear a difference going from underpowered to properly powered on a 91db per watt subwoofer then idk what to say. Pretty sure you will hear the difference right away. Might not be much but surley a difference

There is no such thing as underpowered. There is a maximum power handling, but no minimal.

Seems I may be going against the grain here, ... I bet you will notice almost nothing.

:shrugs:

Only correct answer.

I went from an AQ3500 to a BC5500 (a 1500 watt RMS difference in amplifier power) and it made a very nice audible difference.

Based on recent personal experience I say it will make a difference especially going from heavily underpowering to a nice chunk of power. As long as electrical is up for it, you will hear a difference.

Psychoacoustics are a bitch, you should see how much difference you hear when you buy a 2000$ amp yourself and compare it to a 400$ amp at the same power level, while in blind testing you won't hear a difference.

I bet you will notice a ton.

I went from 2k Watts on a Sundown Z v.3 12 to 3.5k watts and it sounded a TON louder and i gained 2.0 DB'S on the meter.

A ton louder? With only a 2dB difference? You must be magic ear boy.

There is usually a T/S parameter shift which might change the frequency response, and that might be what you are experiencing.

The hds315a is pretty efficient. 91.5 1W/1m. What im saying is if he is getting roughly 700rms +/- on music,we will definetly hear a difference on 1500rms music. In my case,going from 4k to 8k,there is minimal difference and i cant actually hear the difference,its mostly the termlab and flexing that gives it away. Going from loud to retarded loud yes its hard to hear. Going from underpowered to properly powered,bet yourself you will hear a difference.

Efficient at what? Producing 1kHz test tones?

But chances are that he might be able to hear a slight difference because he also upgrades his electrical system which means he might've only had 500W coming out of the amp, but with the 2.2k he has enough electrical to support a true 1.2kW.

But usually the difference will be very small.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

The only way that you are going to get a noticeable difference in sound is when the T/S parameters of the sub shift so much that the subwoofer will perform better at tuning. (because the box wasn't the perfect box for the subwoofer.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

It's not opinion, it is scientific fact.

600W-1200W is barely noticeable if at all, and any other form of 2x power.

If SPL increased the way most people want to believe it does, then you would have insane amount of SPL from a driver that can produce in the upper 80's dB/1W/1M.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived