join with help building a 1000 dollar budget gaming pc

well, i use an i5 3.0 and i can play a game like d3 at max settings, steam it at 720p 2800kbit and have my stream open and watch it no issue. i almost bought an amd, and i am a huge fan of amd. but after looking at benchmarks then actually reading some tests/reviews done with actual applications on both i found the i5 was more robust at raw number crunching. So if you want to do something other than play a game i would go intel. if you just want a stack of cores that second as a easy-bake oven go amd.

Lol, easy bake? I know AMD run hotter but the FX series are much cooler. My CPU idles at around 65f on liquid and peaks at 85f. Never seen an FX go over 100f on air, in a case with good airflow. A lot of people are Intel fanatics but I bet they haven't used an FX series.

im just poking fun, you know with 8 cores and all, that mug probably generates some heat. i almost bought one.

The Vishera run pretty hot compared to Intel, especially when OC'd. They do clock like bamfs, although it isn't quite as effective. Power consumption is also noticeably higher with the AMD.

At the end of the day yes, the difference is minimal. Definitely a good GPU will be a must, and for the price the 970 will be amazing.

well, i use an i5 3.0 and i can play a game like d3 at max settings, steam it at 720p 2800kbit and have my stream open and watch it no issue. i almost bought an amd, and i am a huge fan of amd. but after looking at benchmarks then actually reading some tests/reviews done with actual applications on both i found the i5 was more robust at raw number crunching. So if you want to do something other than play a game i would go intel. if you just want a stack of cores that second as a easy-bake oven go amd.

Lol, easy bake? I know AMD run hotter but the FX series are much cooler. My CPU idles at around 65f on liquid and peaks at 85f. Never seen an FX go over 100f on air, in a case with good airflow. A lot of people are Intel fanatics but I bet they haven't used an FX series.

im just poking fun, you know with 8 cores and all, that mug probably generates some heat. i almost bought one.

Lol oh yea, without proper cooling and case flow, they can get pretty damn hot. Also, consume more power. I mean Intel DO make a better chip.... but in terms of bandwidth for the money, AMD usually win. I mean the Intel equivalent to my 8350 is over $300! It IS a better chip, in every way except raw processing power....but I like to stay in budget :)

The Vishera run pretty hot compared to Intel, especially when OC'd. They do clock like bamfs, although it isn't quite as effective. Power consumption is also noticeably higher with the AMD.

At the end of the day yes, the difference is minimal. Definitely a good GPU will be a must, and for the price the 970 will be amazing.

I say the same thing. OP should concentrate on a good GPU like the 970 or 290 and not worry so much about CPU. I mean, I don't come close to using all my CPU in games and anything like a 4690k and up would do justice.

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

If you have a Microcenter or Fry's near you, you should look at getting your CPU/Motherboard there, they have the best deals on those two components.

If you don't mind buying used, the AMD R9 290X is the best deal at the moment. You can get them really cheap, I recently saw one on my local craigslist for $240.

Does the $1000 include the purchase of your monitor and peripherals?

Here is what i'd recommend for a tower:

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117302

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132130

Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130934

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231585

Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151137

Operating System Hard Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147192

Storage Hard Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236625

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352039

Personally, Go for an Nvidia card if you want better frame rates... The new 970 and 980 are beast overclockers... Like someone said, go to a microcenter... their deals on CPU's and Motherboards are great.

2000 Ford Focus ZX3

Mods:

Raceland Coilovers

Borla Exhaust

Aftermarket Header

System:

Sony CDX-GT66UPW

Pioneer 6x8's

System Upgrades :

Pioneer MVH-X560BT

2 sets of Rockford Fosgate P1683's

Fi Audio Q 18" D2 ( Currently Own)

DD M1C ( Currently Own)

All SHCA Wires and stuff...

XS Power 4800 ( Stock Replacement)

High Ouput alternator (undecided which company or Amperage.)

You want to keep Intel/Nvidia together, or AMD/AMD Radeon together. They will run vica versa, but for best performance, keep manufacturers paired up.

I wouldn't recommend an i5.... The FASTEST i5 wouldn't hold a candle to even an 8320. Don't believe me? Check the benchmarks!

That shows that in several benchmarks, the most expensive i5 money can buy, including the 4960k, falls short of most AMD 8 cores. If you want Intel and want to better the 8320/8350, your only choice is an i7. A motherboard with Haswell support is going to cost you, as the i7 is. Now I will agree, most i7's will out perform the FX CPU's... But will you still be under your $1000 cap? Check that benchmark link I sent... It's very accurate and shows you an i5, is just a more expensive way to be not as fast lol.....

There's no reason to pair manufacturers together other than if you're a fan of one company or the other. AMD cards don't inherently run better with AMD CPU's. Intel chips don't pair better with Nvidia cards. There's no performance-based reason you can't mix and match.
That benchmark site is rubbish for comparing how CPU's will perform in gaming scenarios. That specific benchmark is designed to run fully multithreaded - it greatly prefers higher core counts over clock speeds and IPC. That's why the AMD 8-core keeps up so well with Intel's quad-core desktop chips; it has twice the cores. It's also why Intel's 10, 12, and 14-core Xeons blow everything out of the water even though those chips would suck in a gaming computer.
For a better comparison go take a look at Anandtech's Bench section of their website. You can compare two products head-to-head in specific benchmarks or even see a chart for how a range of products lines up for a specific benchmark. Here's a chart for a whole slew of CPU's running Battlefield 4 at 1080p max settings with a GTX 770: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1107
You'll notice that even AMD's top-end FX-9590 (a 220W chip) is ranked below almost all of Intel's chips, including the 54W Core i3-4360 and the 35W Intel Core i7 4765T. The 4 intel 6-cores are slightly slower due to lower clock speeds but anyone buying a $600+ Intel chip is going to overclock it and blow the doors off everything else on the list.
If you are going to wait on a SSD, at least get a SATA 6Gb/s physical drive. A SATA II interface will slow even the most powerful CPU/GPU's down.

LOL wat? This guy is trying to play games. The only difference his hard drive is going to make is boot times for Windows and loading times for levels in games. By no means is any SATA II hard drive going to slow down his computer in games.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

this being said, anyone have a gaming tower they are looking to get rid of within my budget. help me save a buck and maybe you can then upgrade?

A case? Because I have a Corsair 750D I'm contemplating getting rid of but I sort of doubt you want a full tower.

Here's a build for around $1150 (OS not included) that should do everything you're asking for and then some:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($75.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1153.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-07 10:34 EDT-0400

You can shave off another $60 and get the cost of hardware down to $1090 by swapping the GTX 970 for a Radeon R9 290:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1093.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-07 10:45 EDT-0400
There are tons of places to shave a few more dollars here and there. Swap the 250GB SSD for a 120GB, move to a non-modular power supply, and get a cheaper CPU cooler and you can get it below your $1000 budget with rebates:
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.54 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $986.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-07 11:12 EDT-0400

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Archived