Second Skin Audio

What is Fs?

afrakes

Just as the title states, I have always understood it to be the "peak" if you will of a sub woofers output on free air power. Is this correct or have I been fed lies?

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Fuck Sakes

Not sure if I asked a bad question? I have looked and found many answers to this question, just looking for a short simple answer, from a group of people who's knowledge I trust.

Driver free air resonance, in Hz. This is the point at which driver impedance is maximum. "This parameter is the free-air resonant frequency of a speaker. Simply stated, it is the point at which the weight of the moving parts of the speaker becomes balanced with the force of the speaker suspension when in motion. If you've ever seen a piece of string start humming uncontrollably in the wind, you have seen the effect of reaching a resonant frequency. It is important to know this information so that you can prevent your enclosure from 'ringing'. With a loudspeaker, the mass of the moving parts, and the stiffness of the suspension (surround and spider) are the key elements that affect the resonant frequency. As a general rule of thumb, a lower Fs indicates a woofer that would be better for low-frequency reproduction than a woofer with a higher Fs. This is not always the case though, because other parameters affect the ultimate performance as well."

I copy and pasted this from 12volt.com

I asked this once as well

"It is simply the resonance of the parts in an anechoic free air environment....a place it will ever be in. It does not mean it will play lower.

You can take a sub with an fs of 40hz, slap it in a 20hz ported box and it will still play 20hz fine...environment plays more a role than anything....unless you have a wee tiny coil with no linear excursion"

• pa-pa-platypus

• sorry not everybody has a companies nuts so far down their throat they catch every drop ball sweat when it falls

Just as the title states, I have always understood it to be the "peak" if you will of a sub woofers output on free air power. Is this correct or have I been fed lies?

You have been fed a load of bullshit. That doesn't even make sense.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

So now that I know what it means, what is the practical application of this information? Lower Fs, lower tuning? How do you use the Fs rating when designing an enclosure for a woofer?

Archived