Amp fuses and second battery.

More batteries themselves won't really add much stress to the alt. If you don't increase any other demands on the alt (like an amp) then all the alt has to do is maintain the charge on the extra batteries. There is a point when that adds up and you add too much extra stress on the alt, but it's probably a lot of batteries.

The problem is when you have more demand on the alt than it can handle and the extra batteries fill in where the alt can't keep up. Then the alt spends it's time charging batteries and alts aren't designed to charge batteries. It becomes very stressful on alts in that scenario. It's different for every vehicle and system so it's hard to pinpoint where it becomes too stressful.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

More batteries themselves won't really add much stress to the alt. If you don't increase any other demands on the alt (like an amp) then all the alt has to do is maintain the charge on the extra batteries. There is a point when that adds up and you add too much extra stress on the alt, but it's probably a lot of batteries.

The problem is when you have more demand on the alt than it can handle and the extra batteries fill in where the alt can't keep up. Then the alt spends it's time charging batteries and alts aren't designed to charge batteries. It becomes very stressful on alts in that scenario. It's different for every vehicle and system so it's hard to pinpoint where it becomes too stressful.

Thanks man. How do you know what size alternator you need and the number of batteries to run the system?

figure out how much current you need then go from there. Personally I would use as much alt power as I logistically can, then fill the rest will battery backup.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

i have another question regaurding this topic..

ok so right now i have a 17ft run of 0 gauge for my mono amp and also a 17ft run of 4 guage for my 4 channel amp.

My question is if i connect both of those runs to my rear battery would i have to ground the battery to the chasisis with a 0 gauge as well as a 4 gauge?? because i will have both connected to the rear battery.

or is it a complete waste of time having the 4 gauge run connect to the rear battery from the front battery. i already have it ran so i figured why not connect it..

what do you guys think?

I ground both ways with tool maker battery terminals. Can never have enough grounds IMO. 0 awg run to rear bat and then to mono amp. And 4 agw to bat and mids and highs amp is good.

Archived