Second Skin Audio

Getting Ready to build A Sub box, need some opinions

So guys im starting to spec out a box to put in my 03 Yukon... 2 12" LI's with a IA20.1 and I think ive decided on box specs...48x16x16, 14.5x4.25 slot port, 4.79cuft chamber, tuned to 33.64hz, port velocity is 92ftps @32hz, and subs up and port back......

To let you guys know what im looking to achieve.

1. Listener of decaf and rap mostly but also all other genres

2. So I want to hit the lows (30) and be musical

3. But want to hit mid 30's with authority

4. I had 2 12 cvx's a few years ago in a galant and hit a 139.8db(dont know the freq., but hoping to get to 143db+ with this setup

Let me know if you think the cuft and tuning sound like I can achieve what im looking for, or any suggestions

Other option is lower tune 31.8hz and 4.77cuft.....what would the benifits of one over the other.

I don't know that brand but on 2400rms and 2 12s you should be able to Break 143db sealed up no problem. I've done it with gave the power and the same cone area.

As for the different option in boxes you gave, I highly doubt your ears will notice a difference. The meter most likely would though. It tends to be easier to achieve higher numbers on a meter with higher tuning.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Best way to hit good numbers is usually tuning in the 37-45hz range and trail and error on box design.

It can be done with lower tuning but usually takes more trail and error on the box and more power.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

ok, been doing some reading and I think im going a little smaller and higher tune....4.29cf and 34.5hz (these are without sub displacement.... .26 for both) correct me is im wrong but this should stretch out the frequency range and bring my peak a little more for music(even though I may loose a little peak at the tuned frequency)

Big vehicle, 2 12s for it is not enough for musical and loud, with so much space 15s and 18s are viable options, also your cabin transfer function plays a role, don't try to winISD your response inside a car ever.

Well buying new subs isnt an option right now, but just to understand you correctly your telling me i couldnt hit a 143 and still stretch from 33-55hz?....The plan is to (eventually) add a 8 or 10 to cover the gap from the components and 12's, and tune the 12's closer to 30-32

I called Incriminator yesterday and got a few questions cleared up....and have rethought the box a little

New plan 48 x 16.5 x 16.5, 4.659cuft (with bracing and sub displacement), tuned to 35.09hz, 15 x 4.75port, 80.1ft/s port velocity

Archived