Sonic Electronix

low voltage?! or amp/sub gone bad?!

used a dmm on my sub n found out that one of the voice coils has gone bad. used my friends subs on my amp n the amp still works fine.

since my sub still works at low volumes is there a way to re-wire/fix the voice coil? planning on getting new subs anyway just wanna know if its fixable

used a dmm on my sub n found out that one of the voice coils has gone bad. used my friends subs on my amp n the amp still works fine.

since my sub still works at low volumes is there a way to re-wire/fix the voice coil? planning on getting new subs anyway just wanna know if its fixable

Yea recone...

$20 bucks says it's your alt.

really easy way to tell. wait for night turn your headlights on.and roll down your window (if you have power windows) if your lights dim from that

your Alt is dying. the ohm load wouldn't ssuddenly change the amp and volume level.

one day soon your car isn't gonna start or it will die while your driving cuz the Alt will stop.

had that happen in my Saturn, durango, and my grand prix... stock alts hate systems!

I disagree with that testing method. In my explorer, even when my radio/amp are off and i roll the windows down it dims the dash lights. 1997 explorer, replaced the 130A alt last july with a brand new 130A. Lights dimming due to an added load to the electrical doesnt signify a bad alt.

there's a difference between your lights flickering when you touch the lights and damn near blinking.

my.Saturn got so bad they would turn almost off with that test then slowly come back on.

places like auto zone/pep boys can't test ALTs the right way.

every time I've brought one in for testing they have passed then replaced anyway.

90% of the time if you think it's your alt....it's your Alt.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

as i said in the reply earlier one of my voice coils was bad. the sub is a dvc 4 ohm had it wired to 2 ohms.

when i dmm the sub while wired parallel it read .5 instead of around 2 ohms (hence why i think it caused the amp to kick on/off when i turned the volume up since the amp is 2 ohm stable)

did a lil messing around with the coils n wired it in series. should be somewhere around 8 ohms right now but not sure since i didnt use a dmm this time.

turns out the the sub is working even with the volume turned up to my usual listening levels.

down part is that it doesnt bump as clean n loud or hit lows like it used to. (better than no bass at all tho)

i know that the amp doesnt put out as much power at 8 ohms than it does at 2 ohms...

is this bad on the amp powering a sub with a voice coil gone bad?

im thinking of using a dmm soon to see its current impedance n eve messing with switching the wiring in series from opposite +/-

Archived