Second Skin Audio

2 12s or 1 15?

m0rtin

Go with 1 15 if you have a budget the more stuff you want the more its gonna cost. If u buy 1 15 you can spend more and get quality, get a nice 15 and throw some power to it and i think you will be happy.

Cool thing about running one 15 is that you get a big wow factor from demos. People can never believe it's just one sub.

would a 15 deliver better lows/lacking accurate bass? where as 2 12's would be louder/more clean sounding with decent lows hitting hard?

look into re subs thy are pretty strong for the price and they are not stupid power hungry subs they play pretty well in the lows depending on the mode but if i was u i would do an re sx 15 d1 on some rf power in a big box tuned low

what vehicle is it going in

and as a bonus the re sx is a 1000 watt rms sub but ive been running 1250 rms to mine for almost a year so the current amp u have is perfect

going into my 2002 toyota avalon which has a lot of trunk space. my type x hit good in a not so big slot ported box but i found myself wanting more bass.

what about running 2 mid level 15s on the kicker amp?

As well stated before, "2 12s is more cone area". More cone area = better performance (not always, but on our example yes). Keep in mind that if all subs are d4. On the first case (2 x 12s) you will drop your impedance to 1ohm while on the case (1 x 15) you will have 2ohms. This means that the amplifier will push more watts on the 2 12s. So I would go with 2 x12s.

i was planning on 2 dvc 2 ohms or 2 svc 4 ohm. i dont know if the kicker amp can handle a 1ohm load??

I love my 2 Type R 12s. The work well for both punchy Rock bass and they get down a bit as well. I found out from here that the Type Rs love a big box. Mine is 4.12cubes after port and sub displacement tuned to 32hz. I'm running them on 800w at 2 ohms and doing 135db at 39hz. How efficient my amp is up for debate so whether I am getting 800 is questionable.

New to the car audio world and looking to learn as much as I can.

Go with 1 15 if you have a budget the more stuff you want the more its gonna cost. If u buy 1 15 you can spend more and get quality, get a nice 15 and throw some power to it and i think you will be happy.

Cool thing about running one 15 is that you get a big wow factor from demos. People can never believe it's just one sub.

would a 15 deliver better lows/lacking accurate bass? where as 2 12's would be louder/more clean sounding with decent lows hitting hard?

Not necessarily. The lows are going to depend on what you tune the enclosure to and the accurateness of the bass depends on the strength of the motors. What you need to do is look at the space that you have, and then design a build around that. If you have the proper space for 2 12's then typically that would be the way to go as it's slightly more cone area and you have 2 coils to share the load of the power.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Higher quality 15s can match or exceed their 12s counterparts in accuracy and keep more efficient as long as your box is made on the correct specs.

its all about how u want to set up your trunk if i were u i would make sure i have the box volume i want and still have some room in the trunk for future audio equipment or just for grocerys and shit. either way take in to consideration ur amps specs and make sure they will match ur subs specs.

Build Log

1996 chevy suburban

2 zv4 15

kenwood excelon mids and tweeters

kenwood excelon deck

mevhman 370

3 batts all different

mechman avmb II

2 inch squat

33 inch muds

straight pipes

kixker zx series 4ch

sundown amps

memphis 0 gauge

soon to be fu audio c pillar wall

i have had both 2 12s and 1 15... i am currently running one 15.. and blows out everyones 2 12s.... i love the sound of one 15, deep, but still so loud on higher notes...

TEAM PRESSURED LOWS

2000 Dodge Durango

6 Sundown SA 15s

6th Order B-Pillar Wall

Sundown Audio

XS Power Batteries

Mechman Alternators

say your budget for the subwoofer/subwoofer... is only 250. If you go with 2 12s, thats only 125 a piece for 12s, but if you have 250 for one 15, you can get a MUCH better quality subwoofer, that will blow away smaller subs.

TEAM PRESSURED LOWS

2000 Dodge Durango

6 Sundown SA 15s

6th Order B-Pillar Wall

Sundown Audio

XS Power Batteries

Mechman Alternators

Archived