Why no foam on fiberglass door panels/pods?

mbdblue

Consider the contour when you wrap something. Vinyl with allow you to stretch around curves and edges to a point, add in a foam filler or backer and you make the job way harder then it needs to be. Remember, factory panels are heat formed not layers on layers.

hhhmmm this is a good point....I was wondering how the foam was compressed uniformly; I imagine as I stretch the vinyl over foam, surfaces with a round curve would be more compressed at there peak than a valley surface.....Also, if I pull too hard in one direction will the foam rip....Think I'm starting to understand why this is more complicated than I first thought.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Consider the contour when you wrap something. Vinyl with allow you to stretch around curves and edges to a point, add in a foam filler or backer and you make the job way harder then it needs to be. Remember, factory panels are heat formed not layers on layers.

hhhmmm this is a good point....I was wondering how the foam was compressed uniformly; I imagine as I stretch the vinyl over foam, surfaces with a round curve would be more compressed at there peak than a valley surface.....Also, if I pull too hard in one direction will the foam rip....Think I'm starting to understand why this is more complicated than I first thought.

Mdblue, were you on fiberglassforums back in the day? I feel like I remember your username. Anyways like many things it comes into the design of your panel. It would be difficult to wrap the whole thing in vinyl over foam if there are a lot of contours. But properly section an area away using an insert and if its small and flat you will have no trouble wrapping it. I second what kingsuv says.

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Mdblue, were you on fiberglassforums back in the day? I feel like I remember your username. Anyways like many things it comes into the design of your panel. It would be difficult to wrap the whole thing in vinyl over foam if there are a lot of contours. But properly section an area away using an insert and if its small and flat you will have no trouble wrapping it. I second what kingsuv says.

haha yes I was; I wish that forum was still around....but unfortunately, these panels are nothing but contours.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

As far as I know man there isn't. I think I'm gonna put this idea on the back burner for now. This being my first vinyl wrap, I'm probably already biting off more than I can chew. I'll take the advice of the guys who have done this many more times than I. Maybe after I get used to it, I'll try it out.

Archived