Crescendo in Car just for SPL?

dscid

It's so hard to tell based on YT Videos, and reviews found elsewhere. Every review says LOUD AND CLEAR, and tries to say you can hear it across a parking lot. Well, I'm not interested in other people hearing me - I'm too selfish for that =P

What I do want is a great sound in my car that fills out the entire freq. spectrum without harsh spikes. I am compromising, because I need it to get loud enough, to overcome some deafness that I have. I don't want it to sound like crap, but still affordable. I don't really know what PA speakers like Crescendo sound like compared to what I'm used to. I've ran the Fosgate T1682S, and X152S components for many years. My 5.25" just crapped out on me, and I've never really liked the metallic/tinny sound they have with their titanium cones. The 6x8 sound good enough to me, but are in need of new surrounds.

The Crescendo PWX line is just above what I would pay for new surrounds anyways, so I was thinking of just rebuilding my system, with actives instead. You read people saying PWX sounds as good as 200 dollars+ speaker sets. But, that's all relative anyways.

Would the PWX be a far cry from Type RF and Power components I've always run? Here is what I want to work towards, do you guys think this is a good move, for semi SQ?

I'm wanting a 4-way setup.

2 Ch. Amp
2 Crescendo RTS-1 tweets
4 Channel Amp
2 Crescendo PWX 6.5 midrange
2 Crescendo PWX 10 mid bass
Mono amp - > 1 sealed Sundown SA-12 substage
Digital Designs X-1 processor
...then eventually 80PRS for some time alignment options.
Part of my issues with the current setup I've had is the TRF comps just weren't cutting it. Less efficient than my T1 set, and passive crossovers made them not audible in the mix, especially with them in cheap prefab Mustang kick panels - 6x8 in stock location. That being said, with the new build I will gladly make some fiberglass doors to hold these about at my shoulder in the car, angled towards my ears. I'm sure if I had done that in the past, my current speakers would be plenty loud, but it wasn't an option.
So, will this setup perform well? I listen to lots of rock genres, and I really want to feel each tom/snare hit, not just the kick from the sub. I also like a warm sound, and not sure if the PWX/Selenium type speakers are the way to go. The budget friendly pricing, and bang for the buck are really enticing however.
This post has dragged on long enough - any thoughts/advice? How would this compare to what I'm running now?

Let me say this.. If you expect them to sound like HiEnergy mids out of the gate, you'll be disappointed.. point blank.

Now, keep in mind that theyre CHEAP speakers.. Budget speakers imo.. But they sound better than other drivers in their class from my experience.

I came from a pair of Ascendant Audio 7" Carbon Fiber Mids, and switched to 4 6.5" PWX mids. At first, I wasnt too happy when i made the change. They weren't as "warm" sounding as my old mids. They just weren't... "there." Idk how to explain it.

However, after some tuning, Im MORE than happy.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

For tuning I'll probably only have the Clarion EQS746. So no fine tuning....

I really can't spend so much on components like Hertz upper line. What are my options in the ~200 dollar sets? What brands offer bang for buck in the SQ department?

I used to run just Fosgate stuff and call it a day :\ lol. I'm open to more options now, just don't know what my options are.

You won't like them. I'll tell you that much right now.

Look at some dayton reference mids, the RTS-1's are very nice though. I would say those are a good choice.

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

which daytons are we dick riding here? the 24 dollar ones? or?

and i dig dayton... just seeing what we are jockying now...

Not the $24 dollar ones.

These are a little nicer than that, and even in a shitty display they sounded good. With proper tuning, crossovers, and a good install they sound great.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs180-4-7-reference-woofer-4-ohm--295-374

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

cool...

sooo, the .. average ones..

got ya...

Yep. Nothing crazy, but good on a budget and still perform well.

Archived