Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Box tuning help for a noob


Beavis

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi and thanks for looking, I'm trying to design a box for 2 fi bl 12s in my 1986 el camino. I've got about 5.85 ft^3 before the port and I'm a little hung up on trying to tune the box. I'd like to tune it to somewhere in the low 30s and tried using a couple of different calculators like this one

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

I'm just a little confused because when i increase the height and width, the depth of the port also increases? Am I doing something wrong? Sorry if I'm overlooking something simple here and any help would be appreciated.

Posted

Yep, larger the port the longer it needs to be to keep the same tune in the same air space. Make sure you're also subtracting the greater port displacement as well.

Static drops are my bag.

Posted

If you post the dimensions of your box we can probably help you double check your numbers. Like jk13 said, as you give the port more area it has to get longer to keep the same tuning.

For a pair of 12" BL you are probably going to want to be somewhere around 60 sq in of port area.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Post dimensions

Or Torres Calculator

If as previously stated you are a noob, I would post max dimensions/desired tuning and let someone more knowledgeable design for you

The L@zy Hoe

 

 

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

 

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

 

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 5316 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...