Second Skin Audio

Passive Radiator Help

mrazandrewm

Awesome posts TaylorFade. Might I pick your brain some more? Alright...what PR brand are you using? How do you calculate the displacement of the subwoofer and know what size PR to order? Thanks.

Those are custom made by Tantric. I had them made to match the MD's I was going to use at the time.

Basically... displacement is the cone area * xmax. So, I have a 12" that will move 30mm. I want (2) 12's with 30mm of stroke or a single 12" with 60mm of stroke (good luck with that one). You can "get away" with one size up. Like... a 15" PR for a 12" sub, but I have to tell you that our higher power subs will wreck a passive radiator if you don't have enough displacement.

Alright. So as long as the PR has a displacement of 1.5 times (or larger) then I'd be all set? Also, have you heard about Earthquake SLAPS-M Passive Radiators? I can't find any reviews on them for the life of me. Lol.

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150 STX SuperCab 5.0L V8 4x4

BIG 3: Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0 Gauge OFC Power Amp Kit

Headunit: Stock (Leaving factory look)

Speakers: Stock

Subwoofer: Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 10" D2 wired down to 1 ohm

Enclosure: ~1.5 cubic feet tuned to ~34 Hz (Port Area ~24 inches)

Amplifier(s): Sundown Audio SAE1000.1D

Amp Power Kit: Knukonceptz Complete 4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit

Alright. So as long as the PR has a displacement of 1.5 times (or larger) then I'd be all set? Also, have you heard about Earthquake SLAPS-M Passive Radiators? I can't find any reviews on them for the life of me. Lol.

I've heard *of* them. Never used them though. But they look awesome. I rarely believe the marketing jargon companies put into spec sheets, but they might be onto something with that thing.

Yep, 1.5x the Vd is the bare minimum really, and even there you will probably still run into mechanical issues at high power at or under tuning. Try to get 2x or a bit more if possible. Dave should be able to build you any PR you want, he built my last pair.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Does it take Dave a while to respond to emails because I sent one last weekend and still no reply.

Does it take Dave a while to respond to emails because I sent one last weekend and still no reply.

When I was talking to him it took him anywhere from 2 hours to 4 days to respond. I'm sure he might be a little backed up due to the holidays.

The Earthquake PRs look nice because they are so slim. Makes me wonder how strong that suspension is. Not so sure about this though, from their website: "No increase over existing sealed subwoofer enclosure sizes".

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

Alright. I'll wait until next Monday for a response from him.

I saw that too on Earthquake's website. I'll still run ported size for the subwoofer and PR. What do you think the maximum depth (including travel distance of the bolt) would be needed on Earthquake's PR? For example, PSI's website recommends a mounting depth of 6" for the travel distance of the bolt on the PSI 10" PR.

Well you should be running ported box size for a PR box. It is ported after all. That's why I posted that, not sure what they're talking about.

I would allow 6" to be safe. Don't want that bolt cracking ferrite or rupturing a spider. But Dave left the bolts on mine pretty long. If you don't need to add too much weight, then you could probably shave those bolts and get away with a little less mounting distance.

Awesome!

I do have a question about the excursion on the PSI PRs. I modeled the SA8V2 and PSI's 10" PR in WINISD Pro, but at slightly more wattage to the woofer, the PR's cone excursion surpasses 1/2 of the total usable excursion. Would it be alright to run the PR slightly past 1/2 it's total usable excursion? I guesstimated the forward motion is half of the total usable excursion. Is that wrong of me to assume that?

Awesome!

I do have a question about the excursion on the PSI PRs. I modeled the SA8V2 and PSI's 10" PR in WINISD Pro, but at slightly more wattage to the woofer, the PR's cone excursion surpasses 1/2 of the total usable excursion. Would it be alright to run the PR slightly past 1/2 it's total usable excursion? I guesstimated the forward motion is half of the total usable excursion. Is that wrong of me to assume that?

Is that at tuning? I don't remember how WinISD defines it, but it sounds like that would be correct. You should probably make sure though. Because if that's the case, you need more PR.

The SA8v2

Sd=201sq.cm. (just took Sd of DC's 8", couldn't find it on the SA)

Xmax=1.6cm

Vd=321.6cc

PSI 10" PR

Sd=320sq.cm.

Xmax=3.2cm

Vd=1024cc

Ratio is 3.18x the Vd in your PR. You should be absolutely fine with that.

Archived