Help with DD1

Smokey619

Just to be absolutely clear, have you made sure that you are not tuning your head unit to a volume where it is clipping? Also, 15db overlap seems like a lot to me. If you are playing any type of boosted music or anything where you have tones that may be at -10db or -5db then you are going to have problems.

Well I thought that most music was actually recorded at -10db. That is why I was asking. I might be totally wrong, but that is what I have understood. Then boosted music will most likely have tones that are -10 or greater, so if you are set at -15 you are technically clipping (or so I think) on any tone recorded higher than -15db.

I normally set sub amps at 7 or 8 db, and I set amps for mids between 0-3 depending on amps and speakers used.

I did not know that they were recorded at -10 db, but it is weird that it caused no problem for me before and now with more powerful sub and amp I have problems and less bass. I guess I will have to mess around with the settings and let the sub break in and see if that was just the glue or something burning and not a coil.

So recently I upgraded from a 500 to a 1000 watt amp and a new sub. With my past amp I was using track 7 which is 40hz -15db and it sounded great, on my new amp I am using track 5, 40hz -10 db but it sounds weaker than my 500 and i tried track 7 on new amp

Old System: 500 watt amp, 600 watt sub, track 7

New System: 1000 watt amp, 1000 watt sub, track 7

So which lie are you going to go with?

You cant have it both ways.

What I skimmed for in this thread and couldn't find is what amps you are comparing. Yeah I know 500W and 1000W, but which ones? DO they both do rated?

Also, when I first started to learn about car audio, one of the toughest pills for me to swallow was how much more power it really takes to have an audible difference in bass output. Shits crazy.

I am sure that they both do rated. The old amp was a Alpine MRP-M500 running a Kicker Comp R 10, the new amp is a JL Audio JX1000/1D running a Alpine Type R 10(SWR-10D4).

Also when I was setting my gains with track 7, my multimeter was reading 50vAC while the ohms law says that it should be 44vAC and that is when my gains were set to not distort.

I am sure that they both do rated. The old amp was a Alpine MRP-M500 running a Kicker Comp R 10, the new amp is a JL Audio JX1000/1D running a Alpine Type R 10(SWR-10D4).

Also when I was setting my gains with track 7, my multimeter was reading 50vAC while the ohms law says that it should be 44vAC and that is when my gains were set to not distort.

What multimeter were you using? I think it would need to read RMS voltage

Archived