Second Skin Audio

Port Area Here We Go Again.........

smaller enclosures tend to hit higher on the meter, but you may lose around 1 DB on the low end around 30-35ish hz. i'm building my next box (if the t-line doesnt sound good enough) around 12-13 cubes for my 4 15's

smaller enclosures tend to hit higher on the meter, but you may lose around 1 DB on the low end around 30-35ish hz. i'm building my next box (if the t-line doesnt sound good enough) around 12-13 cubes for my 4 15's

I didn't know that, I always thought that the larger enclosures were more efficient. What is the difference in sound from sound from a large enclosure to a small one tuned to the same frequency, withe same amount of port area? Remember this will be a daily system not a competition system.

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

Hopefully it doesn't sound too horrible. lol

I didn't know that, I always thought that the larger enclosures were more efficient. What is the difference in sound from sound from a large enclosure to a small one tuned to the same frequency, withe same amount of port area? Remember this will be a daily system not a competition system.

After rereading your reply the smaller enclosure loses some output on the low end. I want it to hit low and loud with as much efficiency as possible.

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

Still need clarification on the port ratio thing. What is a desirable ratio? Is 10*32 too far from square or is it within the limits?

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

Ok one more question the 1:9 port ratio, could someone clarify this?

That just means never have more port area than cone area.

Example: If you have 1000 square inches of cone area then dont go over 900 square inches of port area.

If you have (4 round 15's) 706.5 square inches of cone area then dont have more than 635.85 square inches of port area.

[RANT]I think most of these "theories" and "general rule of thumbs" are BS anyway. Most of them encourage you to either make the box too big, have too much port area, or tune it too low.

When you build an average of 40 to 50 ported boxes per month for 5 or 6 years straight you get a pretty good idea of what works the best and what is just impractical.[/RANT] :)

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

That just means never have more port area than cone area.

Example: If you have 1000 square inches of cone area then dont go over 900 square inches of port area.

If you have (4 round 15's) 706.5 square inches of cone area then dont have more than 635.85 square inches of port area.

[RANT]I think most of these "theories" and "general rule of thumbs" are BS anyway. Most of them encourage you to either make the box too big, have too much port area, or tune it too low.

When you build an average of 40 to 50 ported boxes per month for 5 or 6 years straight you get a pretty good idea of what works the best and what is just impractical.[/RANT] :)

Whats your rule of thumb when it comes to port area vs cone area vs tuning vs air space?

crxsilogozz5.gif

Whats your rule of thumb when it comes to port area vs cone area vs tuning vs air space?

x2

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3