Big 3 kits for diesel trucks?

Does any one make a custom big 3 kit for diesel trucks being that we already have 2 batteries? My particular truck has a single alternator.

Looks like you have a powerstroke. And not to my knowledge, I bet you already have a pretty heavy duty setup from stock. Mine had 2 grounding straps, one on the block and one or two for the body. Block ground was 4 gauge and body were the typical flat straps (not sure the rating but I am guessing 4 or 8 gauge). Main problem usually is wiring coming off of the alternator and beefing that up that I could tell on fords.

Not sure what kind of amplifiers you are putting in it but I ended up running a new alternator and batteries (truck had 100K on it when I got it and I drove it to 254K). I actually ran interstate batteries that were a little more heavy duty and put in an isolator and a small AGM type battery for my audio setup. I ran two amps putting out 750-2K watts so somewhat modest amp draw. Since your charging system takes a lot of power to start your truck, especially in the cold I would do these upgrades anyway.

I had guys tell me do a big 3 setup with welding wire...not a good idea in my opinion just for the fact that its not as flexible and CAN break because the diesels put out a lot more vibration. Go with something like a Sky high big three kit in 0 gauge and then get extra 0 gauge just in case. Pay a little extra for flameproof/weather resistant wire loom too and some fat heat shrink so you can make sure you combat against the wire rubbing against things and possible ripping the casing off and grounding out your system.

hope this helps. Also use google, you're lucky I am bored and on leave.

http://skyhighcaraudio.net/details#cid=327381 + extra 0 guage

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm

good write up on the big three with pictures

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4218

I have googled the fool out of the subject and just not very much about it on the message boards. I am running a SQ 2200 @ 1 ohm on 2 RF Power HX2 12's and a SQ Q-4 90. I have 1/0 wire running from the battery to the amps. They are grounded to the rear seat bolts. Under the truck I grounded the seat bolts to the frame with some 2 ga rockford wire that I had laying around. Added an additional 4 ga ground wire from each battery to the frame way back when I installed my chip and HID's. I also added the same 2 ga rockford wire to each motor ground to the frame.

I feel my grounds are pretty good. I had some 4 ga kicker wire laying around so I made a run to each battery from the alternator and one that connects the batteries to each other. I also left all of the stock wires in place. Guess I'm wondering if I need to replace all of that 4 ga wire with 1/0. Stock alternator is likely my weak link otherwise for now. Voltage stayed in the mid 13's on stock wiring and stays right at 14-14.1 with the additional wires. But, the stock alternator is only a 110 amp. So that's definitely on the to do list. I have fresh Duralast gold 65 series batteries. Thoughts??

Archived