SundownZ71 Posted December 22, 2014 Report Posted December 22, 2014 I have a 4th order for 2 15's (SA-15's) it's 16 cubes (4 sealed 12 ported), tuned to 40hz w/ removable port. It will be in the back of a 2004 Tahoe, with the port on I will have about 7-8 inches from the port to the back hatch. Port is 202 sq in, I was wondering if I'd have loading problems or anything along those lines. Thanks in advance
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 23, 2014 Report Posted December 23, 2014 Its hard to say what issues you may have w/o at least some pictures of the box and how its installed in the vehicle. How did you come up with your design for the 4th order BP box? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
SundownZ71 Posted December 23, 2014 Author Report Posted December 23, 2014 Its hard to say what issues you may have w/o at least some pictures of the box and how its installed in the vehicle. How did you come up with your design for the 4th order BP box? http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/SundownZ71/IMG_4149_zps89a21e86.jpg http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/SundownZ71/FullSizeRender_zps6b5c288f.jpg Don't have many pictures right now. I bought the box from a buddy which had the design.
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 23, 2014 Report Posted December 23, 2014 Yeah, the port is pretty close to the hatch and it's probably affecting the tuning. Was that box designed for the SA-15s or for different 15" subs? Those box specs strike me as being less than ideal. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
SundownZ71 Posted December 24, 2014 Author Report Posted December 24, 2014 Yeah, the port is pretty close to the hatch and it's probably affecting the tuning. Was that box designed for the SA-15s or for different 15" subs? Those box specs strike me as being less than ideal. He put SA's in it once it was finished so I assume so. He and plenty of other people said it gets nasty low, like high teens. I was looking forward to that lol... how do you think the port being that close would effect it?
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 24, 2014 Report Posted December 24, 2014 The port being that close could alter the tuning from its intended 40 Hz, most likely it would lower it. As far as the box specs go, let me start by saying I'm not a bandpass expert by any means, but I really wonder how well that box performs. Bandpass boxes let you trade bandwidth for efficiency over a limited range, and vice-versa. The box you have with its relatively small rear chamber and huge front chamber is going to be very efficient over a very limited range AKA a one-note-wonder. My guess is that it just slams in the upper 30 Hz range, but drops off pretty fast above and below that. Upper 30 Hz is pretty low (relatively speaking) so that would explain why people said it did well on the lows. If that's all you are looking to do, then its probably great. It is just most likely not what I'd enjoy listening to music with though. Like I said though, I'm no bandpass expert so I could be wrong about how it should perform, and if it makes you happy that's all that matters. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
SundownZ71 Posted December 24, 2014 Author Report Posted December 24, 2014 The port being that close could alter the tuning from its intended 40 Hz, most likely it would lower it. As far as the box specs go, let me start by saying I'm not a bandpass expert by any means, but I really wonder how well that box performs. Bandpass boxes let you trade bandwidth for efficiency over a limited range, and vice-versa. The box you have with its relatively small rear chamber and huge front chamber is going to be very efficient over a very limited range AKA a one-note-wonder. My guess is that it just slams in the upper 30 Hz range, but drops off pretty fast above and below that. Upper 30 Hz is pretty low so that would explain why people said it did well on the lows. If that's all you are looking to do, then its probably great. It is just most likely not what I'd enjoy listening to music with though. Like I said though, I'm no bandpass expert so I could be wrong about how it should perform, and if it makes you happy that's all that matters. Hmmm, alright. I appreciate your info. Anyone els want to chime in?
Joe X Posted December 24, 2014 Report Posted December 24, 2014 Hmmm, alright. I appreciate your info. Anyone else want to chime in? You should test it if you have not done so, then if you didn't liked the results post back, mentioning power you are using and electrical. It seems to me though that the right place for that box is in a single cab setup as a blowthrough where you pretty much can do about nothing else to get 2 15s working properly there.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.